We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a condo on vrbo

London UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Booking a condo on vrbo

Last week I booked a condo for 6 nights direct with a vrbo advertiser. I have been unable to get confirmation since the transaction and I can see no further bookings on the availability calendar. Should I assume that this is a stunt to obtain funds via credit card or do some people just not do their administration properly? Getting worried as we are leaving for Florida tomorrow.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
662 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

Is the condo in Florida? Do you speak on the phone with the renter?

London UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

The condo is in Florida and it was booked last week. I have spoken on the phone to the renter on a couple of occasions and sent emails reminding her I need confirmation.I have her address etc, the address of the condo and she has provided the number of the combination lock to get into the condo. I am concerned because no further bookings appear on the availability calendar. I'm just concerned that the booking might not be legitimate, my credit card details are with her and we won't have anywhere to stay from Thursday!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
662 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

First of all, if you want to message me the details and her phone number, I will call her for you. She may respond quicker when she knows there is someone in the US calling.

Secondly, sometimes people that list on VRBO are also listing elsewhere, and they don't update their VRBO calendar, so that doesn't necessarily mean the whole thing is a scam. Don't panic yet...but do let me know if you would like me to call. (However, you would need to message me your full name so I can sound like you are a friend of mine and I am checking on your rental.)

London UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

Thanks for the offer. I've called her again today and I keep reaching her voicemail so I'm not sure how you could get through quicker. I'm tempted to just go with it and see what happens on the day and if not, try and find somewhere else. Are you familiar with the place and could you recommend anywhere?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
662 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

I don't think you shared the VRBO number so I don't know where you are renting or in what city.

The only thing I could perhaps do is call at a time that is the middle of the night for you, or perhaps when she sees a US number on the caller ID, she would pick up. Did you get references?

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

VRBO is part of the homeaway network and does offer a rent with confidence guarantee. See: http://guarantee.homeaway.com/. Read it thoroughly as it does require you to register your booking prior to travel in order to make a claim after the fact. Unfortunately, it won't help you much if you end up in FL without a legitimate rental.

Thank said some owners are a bit slow to udate availability calenders, some because they are busy, some are lazy and some to encourage inquiries (i.e. I'm so sorry I just booked that week, but I do have some other choice weeks if your dates are flexable,,,,)

London UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

Thanks for everyone's advice. I've finally managed to contact the renter and it seems she's just a bit slow! As we're leaving first thing tomorrow, it was cutting it a bit fine.

8. Re: Booking a condo on vrbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 07:19