We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Food in London

Hello there, I was wondering what type of food shall i go for once iam in london,

I am not looking for something extra fancy or smoething, just good food/dessert and coffeeshops.

I will be living in Hotel Hilton paddington. Tell me what you ppl think plz

thanx

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in London

There's such a huge choice that's an almost impossible question to answer. Why not look at this website to get an overall view of what's available:

www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/

London
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in London

Try the area around Edgware Road, just 10 minutes walk from your hotel. Lots of Asian restaurants and coffeeshops.

If you fancy something a bit different you'll find food from almost every country on the planet in London. Let us know your preferences and you should get some good tips.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in London

Usually , i like italian , and far asian(japanese chinese , thai )food. since i am from the middle east, i don't want anything indian, kbab or anything middle eastern:)

I would love to try some new food too. trying Fish and chips would be a priority:) , but i am not expecting much from it.

i also like mexican food, Fajitas, tacos, etc..

Thanks alot ppl

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in London

Hello!

There are thousands (shall I say millions?) of choices!

The Edgware road are is a great idea and quite close to your hotel.

Also, almost opposite to Hilton Paddington there is London street, where you can find 2 pubs, fish&chips, 2 Greek restaurants, Indian and plenty others that I cannot recall right now.

IMO, you shouldn't leave London without trying:

Indian food, bangers (sausages) and mash on a Yorkshire pudding (baked filo pastry), steak and kidney pie, fish&chips and a M+S sandwich!

The best desserts (again, IMO) are:

Eton mess, trifle, sticky toffee pudding and anything with vanilla ice cream.

Don't forget to try a traditional afternoon tea!

That's all I can think of...

Thalia

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in London

thanks alot thalia!

i like it when ppl post their fav food so i can easily choose it:D

what is M+|S snadwich?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in London

Hi again!

There is a very good sushi bar in the foodhall of Harrods (big department store in Knightsbridge, www.harrods.com).

As I mentioned there is a fish&chips near your hotel.

Mexican: try Wahaca in Covent Garden (squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/…84630)

A M+S sandwich is a sandwich from the foodhall of Marks and Spencer. Marks and Spencer is a chain of department stores, there are tens of them in London and there is one with just food (Simply Food) inside Paddington station. Plenty of sandwiches, salads and desserts! www.marksandspencer.com

For a tasty pie -steak and kidney or other- I highly recommend Square Pie. There is a branch inside the foodhall of Selfridges, Oxford street. http://www.selfridges.com/index.cfm?page=1182

If you ever find yourself tired from sightseeing, shopping etc, just enter the first pub you see. A pub meal is usually very tasty and cheap!

Bon appetit!!!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in London

There are Mexican restaurants in London but they tend not be be very special IMO.

There is a Peruvian restaurant next to London Bridge station if you really want something different.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in London

Pret a Manger is also a great place to pick up a takeaway sandwich (www.pret.com)

You'll want to try some pub grub, too, while you're there. You'll find things on the menu like fish and chips, cottage pie, shepherds pie, steak and ale pie, bangers and mash, ploughman, gammon/egg and chips, jacket potatoes (filled with things like beans, chili, cheddar, tuna mayo, etc...), soups, baguette sandwiches.

For moderately priced British fare, check out Porters in Covent Garden. www.porters.uk.com

And a Full English breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon, beans, mushrooms, tomato, potatoes, toast - or some configuration thereof.)

And an afternoon tea (tea, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam, finger sandwiches and pastries) - or a cream tea (tea and scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam.)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in London

I would'nt recommend bangers and mash or a full English breakfast (pork sausage, bacon) to anyone from Saudi Arabia. Abs133, are you Muslim?

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in London

The best fish and chips is at Mickey's, just 2 short blocks from your hotel (upon exiting turn left and walk past Paddington station and thence past the post office to the hospital, then turn right. Over Christmas holidays, THE Hiltons were apparently staying there and had sent their assistant to Mickey's for take away orders while we were in there eating. We overheard the assistant talking to Mr. Hilton via cell phone arranging additional orders. No, we did not get to see Paris Hilton...

oprah44