We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating near The Strand

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eating near The Strand

Hello Everyone!

What are you recs on places to eat near the strand?

Nothing too fancy, just good food at reasonable prices!

Thank x

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.60*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
627 reviews
from US$100.30*
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating near The Strand

Well, you're only a ten minute walk to Soho where there are a plethora of cheap to medium range restaurants. Most famous budget options on these forums are the two Stockpots, one in Panton Street and one in Old Compton Street (around £8 for two courses). Lots of Chinese and Indian options in the area too. For a little more, wander around Covent Garden and see what takes your fancy.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating near The Strand

The Cafe in the Crypt underneath St. Martin in the Fields would fit the bill. It is on Trafalgar Square, one minute from the Strand:

…stmartin-in-the-fields.org/page/…cafe.html

There's also a branch of Leon on the Strand:

www.leonrestaurants.co.uk/index.htm

You could go to Wagamamas or Giraffe on the other side of the Thames, 5 minutes from the Strand. To get there, locate Charing Cross station (close to the Trafalgar Square end of the Strand), and go down the little road to the left of the station/hotel. This takes you down to Embankment station. Walk through the station and you will see the Thames in front of you. Cross the Thames on the pedestrian bridge attached to the railway (lovely views) and you will be on the South Bank, where there are a number of eating options to choose from. You can cross back on the same pedestrian bridge, or cross under the railway and come back on pedestrian bridge attached to the other side of the tracks for different nice views.

www.wagamama.com (the one I am talking about is at the Royal Festival Hall)

www.giraffe.net/ (Southbank Centre - which is where the Festival Hall is)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating near The Strand

What type of good food? You are spoilt for choice. Thai Pot , and hundreds more.

Don't eat on Strand, as it mostly junk fast food places (Simpsons excepted). But move a few dozen yards towards Covent Garden, and there are scores of good places.

(Its Strand, by the way. Not "The Strand"

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating near The Strand

True, but most people say the Strand - right or wrong, that's the way it is.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating near The Strand

Is it really Strand and not The Strand? I guess I always thought it was the latter, because of Simpson's name-Simpson's in the Strand, not Simpsons in Strand.

Cheers!

BT

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating near The Strand

Two famous songs from around hundred years ago will have to be rewritten if its not The Strand. 'Let's All go down The Strand' and Burlington Berty (... 'I walk down The Strand with my gloves on my hand, and walk back again with them off...')

Old London maps invariably refer to The Strand. Here's just one:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genmaps/genfiles/COU_files/ENG/LON/morden_lon_1690.hml

The church on The Strand is, of course, St Mary le Strand.

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating near The Strand

A place i want to try is Wahaca, won an award for cheap eats recently in Observer newspaper.

http://www.wahaca.co.uk/

London
Level Contributor
563 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating near The Strand

If you want something cheap but good value, I'd head for Bistro 1 at 33 Southampton Street WC2E 7HY

There are some reviews here...

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/5562.htm

And to add my tuppence worth to the great "Strand" debate, the road is listed on street maps simply as "Strand" but everyone refers to it in conversation as "The Strand".

By the way, Strand is the German word for "beach" - and The Strand was once on the Thames waterfront when the river was much wider.

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating near The Strand

For a stupendous experience, go to Rules in Maiden Lane, 30 seconds' walk from the Strand. It is not cheap but it's not to be missed.

Londoners nearly always add the article to road names too, so I don't see how it can't be The Strand. We also say 'The Finchley Road,' 'The Charing Cross Road' although this 'The' doesn't get added to 'Streets'. It's a real London thing: the rest of the UK doesn't do it.

'Strand' means beach and the name originates from when The Strand was on the river's beach.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating near The Strand

The removal of 'The' on maps of the Strand seems to have happened some time in the middle of the 19th Century. I notice that this happened to a lot of places that had 'the' in their name (Embankment is another one). I suspect that this may have something to do with the increase in official documentation and the rise of gazeteers and pocket maps. 'The' is an awkward word when putting things into alphabetical order, so it was often dispensed with. It was done for convenience and has no bearing on what people say.