We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hampton court and windsor palace

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
hampton court and windsor palace

we are staying at kkgeorge near earls court, what is best way to get to hampton court and from there is it feasible to go onto windsor palace. spending 1/2 day at each?

thanks for the help.

jean

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$142.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$146.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
623 reviews
from US$99.20*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,559 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

Although Hampton Court Palace and Windsor are roughly in the same geographical direction, getting from one to the other is a pain in the neck.

You could take the District line from Earl's Court to Richmond then a bus from there to H C Palace, but the bus ride is a bit of a schlep. Trains from Waterloo run to H C, a slightly easier journey.

Trains to Windsor depart from Paddington, requiring an easy change at Slough.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

Earls Court to HC - District Line to Wimbledon and then train to HC.

Quickest way to Windsor is probably train back to Clapham Junction and then train from there to Windsor.

Return from Windsor to Clapham Junction and take another train from there to West Brompton, changing on to the District there for one stop or walking, depending where the hotel is.

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
423 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

My advice would be to choose between Hampton Court or Windsor Castle. I have been to Hampton Court with my 14 year old son and we spend 3 1/2 hours there.

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

If you decide to do both, recommend Windsor Castle first as it opens slightly later (9.45am) so get there for when it opens. Hampton Court is then open slightly later (last admission 5pm, closing at 6pm), so getting there for 2.30pm will give you enough time.

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

Sorry typo error, should read Windsor Castle open slightly EARLIER!

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

That is good to know, I will do Windsor first. I will have to figure out the transportation to windsor. I did buy all 3 of us the 7 day travelcard, so Winsor is included in our Londonpass and travelcard. Then I will go over to Hampton Court.

thanks again.

jean

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

I am sure some of my fellow TAs will be able to give you excellent advice on this. I believe that the travelpass only covers the "london" zones 1-6. Certainly not out to Windsor. Hampton Court is also just oustide the area, but you only have to pay the extra cost from Surbiton. Clear as mud I expect!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

new-to-far-east lives in Surrey, so probably knows more than I do about this, but Hampton Court is in Zone 6 and travelcards/oystercards can be used to get there on the buses.

So far as I know, they can also be used on the trains to Hampton Court EXCEPT for Pay As You Go cards.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,952 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

The London Pass you have purchased with the travel option may not be great value but it's the only pass that allows you to use First Great Western trains to Windsor. From your hotel you will need to take a District Line tube from Earls Court bound for Edgware Road and get off at Paddington where you follow signs for the rail station. As TP said above take any train bound for Slough where you change for the Windsor service which shuttles back and forth between the two stations. Sit on the left for the best views.

I still think it's impractical and not ideal to do both Windsor and Hampton Court in one day but good luck should you decide to go for it.

Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hampton court and windsor palace

If you had to choose between Hampton Court and Windsor Palace, which would you pick? We are two senior couples and will probably visit only one of these places. Thanks for the advice.