We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Hi we are staying in London for a week in Bloomsbury and then after that we are planning to rent a car and leave London to see hopefully as much of England as we can.

Is there a car rental agency nearby Bloomsbury or would we be better to train it to outside of London and pick up a car? We were planning to head to Dover first.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Try www.easycar.com or 1car1.com

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

If there aren't many of you, it would probably be easiest to take a train from central London to Gatwick airport, and pick-up the car there for the drive down to Dover. Driving in London isn't for the faint at heart, and it will almost certainly take longer to drive out of the city rather than getting a train to Gatwick.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Thanks - there are only the 2 of us so looks like it might be easier to get to the airport. I had forgotten about Gatwick and there would be no shortage of rental cars there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Assuming you will be flying out of LHR, you would probably prefer dropping the car there. Before booking you may want to confirm whether there will be an extra fee for returning to a different location. You can't rely on the web bookings to know for sure since most will tell you there is a fee but they may wave it since it is between the two airports.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

You certainly can hire a car in central London, but as other posters have mentioned, you would then have to drive out of London. Unless you have a particularly warped and masochistic sense of fun, you won't enjoy doing that.

If you're planning to head to Dover first, you could just get the train to Dover and hire a car there, or you could head for somewhere a little way out of London but with good train links (Maidstone?), or even still in London but near enough to the edge of it that you could drive out easily (Croydon?)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Hello Nautius (what a cute name by the way)

Is there anything worthwhile to see in Maidstone (no offence intended to any Maidstone residents) or is it more of a residential area?

Also has anyone any idea if a car rental agency would be nearby the train station at Maidstone or Dover?

I think we've got to go with Hertz or Avis because of our Qantas package.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Can't see the point of renting from Gatwick in order to go to Dover. Any other town would do as well, and in that case preferably somewhere nearer to Dover,such as, err, Dover, would be better :-)

Also agree with previous posters, check about one-way extra charges, in which case renting from the airport you fly back from would probably be a good idea..... who knows, maybe that would be Gatwick ? :-)

There are several car rental agencies in Dover, you could see if the ones you may be constrained to rent from would have something there on their web sites.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

I don't think there's much worthwhile to see in Maidstone (although I could be wrong, and equally mean no offence to any Maidstone residents who wish to disagree), I simply thought of it as I met my GF there when we were heading down to Dover after work: I drove there and she got the train from central London, and it seemed like a convenient place to meet. It has a good train service from London and is handy for getting to Dover.

To be honest, though, there's probably not much advantage to doing that compared with just getting a train to Dover, unless you have problems finding convenient train times to Dover, get a better car rental deal in Maidstone (unlikely if you want to leave the car at H'row anyway, as you'd have to go with one of the national chains), or you just don't like trains and want to get in the car asap.

Thanks for the comment on the name. I didn't think of it myself: it comes from the Life of Brian.

London
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

Another train station in between London and Dover is Ashford. There is an Avis depot at Ashford railway station.

10. Re: Where to get car rental after our London stay please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 01:16