We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

For a start, if you try googling information about this bus, it's blessed hard to find! So I've put the link in straightaway.

So, for all you people wondering whether to do Stonehenge by coach tour or DIY, hopefully this will help with your decision-making process.

Trains from London Waterloo are about half-hourly and take about 90 - 100 minutes, Mon - Fri. Personally I'd avoid trying to do Stonehenge on a Sunday and possibly Saturdays, as this is when most of the engineering works go on. At least check with national rail before you decide, to see if your journey will be affected. Certainly there were major engineering works today. Cheapest price per person return is £26.80.

You can then pick up the Stonehenge Tour Bus from either Salisbury Station, or the Bus station in the town centre. It's hard to miss, as it's a double-decker, completely painted to look like Stonehenge on a red day. (You can't miss the bus stop at the bus station either. It was 'B' stop, with a huge Stonehenge picture (same colouring as the bus))

You pay the driver (I didn't think to ask if he takes credit cards, sorry!) and it's either £11 just for the bus or £17.50ish to include entrance to Stonehenge. Buying the combined ticket doesn't give you a discount though.

Sit upstairs on the left hand side if you can for the best views. I was pleased to note there was a recorded commentary - in English only - pointing out various things of interest on the way. We went past Old Sarum and through Amesbury. If we went past Durrington Walls, I don't recall hearing that mentioned. Oh well. The commentary is fairly basic but accurate, and 20 minutes later we were at Stonehenge.

If you have the combined ticket, the driver asks you to wait in a group, and then you all go off to the entrance together to be 'fast-tracked' through. I have a National Trust card, and waiting in the normal queue didn't take long either :-)

The bus leaves about 10 minutes after it arrives - so assuming you're not staying on board, that gives you about 70 minutes to look around, visit the shop and have something to eat. It's just about long enough. I took an audio guide around Stonehenge, but was so busy chatting to the rest of my TALF buddies, I forgot to listen to it, so I'm not sure how long it would take to go around, listening to the tape. As it was I felt I only had just long enough.

The return journey is via a different route which made it more interesting.

Is it worth £11? I'll leave that to the Maccas37 who accompanied me to decide! I think it's a tad high, but then again, they are offering a good service for tourists.

Oh, on the way back, they stopped at Old Sarum, and if you wanted to get out and walk around the old castle/hill you could, and then just catch ANY Salisbury & Wiltshire bus back into town, so long as you had your Stonehenge Tour ticket. Don't have to wait for the special bus.

So, for a day trip from London to Salisbury and to Stonehenge with entrance, you're looking at around £44 per person. You need to compare that with the London Coach Tours and decide if you'd rather pay £20-£30 more, and see more places, but have short amounts of time in each, or whether it's better to have longer in just 2 places, but for less money.

But it is easy - and enjoyable - to do this day on your own and without a car. Just don't do it on a Sunday, if you can help it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

> Certainly there were major engineering works today. <

Oh, gawd - was your visit *this* weekend? I wish I'd realised that - I would have warned you. I go to see my parents near Salisbury once per month, and I postponed this week's scheduled visit when I reliased how bad the planned disruption was. Sorry :(

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

<<< For a start, if you try googling information about this bus, it's blessed hard to find! So I've put the link in straightaway. >>>

www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=stonehenge+salisbury+bus&btnG=Search&meta=

Which gives as first result

londontoolkit.com/whattodo/stonehenge_gettin…

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

True, Alanrow. Just to say the bus didn't look like that! But the actual website gives more information, and that website doesn't come up easily.

Nick - don't worry; I'd already known about the engineering works, which is why I arranged to meet the maccas at Guildford and drive down.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

I'm sure there will be plenty of Tripadvisor members, be they posters or just lurkers, who will find all this information invaluable Gilli.

A huge 'well done' to you for going to the effort to make it happen, eating all those cakes on our behalf, and then, after what must have been a long day, sitting down and writing up a detailed report before that day is out.

Hope there's not too much ironing in the basket calling out to you!

I feel a song coming on:

'For Gill is a jolly good fellow, for Gill is a jolly good fellow ...........'

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

£11 for a 20 minute bus ride each way!? Sounds extortionate. I wonder if you can still get there by any other bus or whether you have no choice but take this particular bus.

Maybe Greenwichnick can find out when he nexts visits him mum.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

Oh, and forgot to say congratulations to gilliganuk for doing all of this - she deserves some sort of Trip Advisor award for helpfulness way beyond the norm.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

<<< I wonder if you can still get there by any other bus or whether you have no choice but take this particular bus. >>>

Bus to Amesbury, then walk - it's in the Londontoolkit linked I posted earlier

LAST year you were able to get an ordinary bus to Stonehenge

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

IMHO, exploring Old Sarum is well worth the time. You can really understand why the original settlement was situated there (you could see enemies advancing from miles around) and why it was moved to the current site of Salisbury (no problems with water).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

Bumping for chris45ny

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stonehenge Tour Bus from Salisbury - the Verdict

The bus in the photograph on the Londontoolkit site is the City Sightseeing Stonehenge tour run by Wilts and Dorset buses and departing from Salisbury station to Stonehenge via Old Sarum. This year they've simply re-packaged it and re-liveried the buses. It's still the same people.