We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what part of the city to stay in?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
what part of the city to stay in?

I find all the different areas of London to be a bit overwhelming. Hard to figure out what area to stay in, when I don't really have a firm grasp on where everything is in location to other places!

We're planning on visiting the Tower of London, the Imperial War Museum, the Natural History Museum, and Buckingham Palace for sure. Maybe St Paul's and I don't know where else.

Could someone list some of the areas I should be looking at for a hotel? I tried looking up the Travelodge Hotels (as suggested to me in another post), but had no idea what area I should be looking at.

Thanks!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

You really need to look at a map of London and see how far apart all the main sights are. However, thanks to a wonderful public transport system, you can get from one end to the other in less than 30 minutes.

Best areas for hotels are Bloomsbury, Southbank, Westminster, Victoria and the City to be near to some of the sights. Each area has something different to offer.

What are your tastes? What type of cuisine will you be eating? Do you want Bohemian, upmarket, busy?

Give us a profile! :-)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

Gosh...I don't know what to tell you! I think we'll be in London for only as long as it takes to see the sites I've listed, then we'll get away from London and on with the rest of our journey. It's my huband and I and our 11 y.o. son, and we're not that picky on the type of culture/cuisine we'll find--we're there for the history and, I guess, the "regular" tourist places.

Really feeling overwhelmed with coming to London, so am just trying to get my head around it all. Seems like every time I come up with a question, it creates more question!! Oh well. Better to get it all sorted in my head now, before we get there.

I appreciate the help and the patience with my silly questions!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

Not silly questions - there's no reason why you should know the layout of a foreign town.

If you're thinking about booking with www.travelodge.co.uk then any of these areas would be fine for you (listed with what I would think as the most convenient first, but they'd all be OK): Covent Garden; Marylebone; Kings Cross; Euston; Southwark; Liverpool Street; Farringdon).

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

No such thing as a silly question, only a silly answer!

I would echo what Glyn has told you, so far as touristy sites go you can split them into two main areas. The City in the east, contains St. Pauls Cathedral, Tower of London, Museum of London and across the river on Southbank, Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Clink Prison Museum.

In the West End, you have Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Oxford Street, Soho and across the river again, the London Eye and the Imperial War Museum.

In between is Covent Garden and Bloomsbury so this might be an area worth looking at to stay as you are about 20 minutes from the Tower or Westminster in the other direction by Tube.

The Natural History, Science and Victoria & Albert Museums are all next to each other in Kensington which is a bit further west.

www.tfl.gov.uk is the site for the London Transport and you will find it highly useful for Tube and bus links.

Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

Not a daft question at all, London is a huge city and can be confusing even for people who live here!

London has evolved over 2000 years, with government and royalty moving gradually westwards from the original Roman foundations, now the 1 square mile 'City of London' financial district. So there is no real central focal point.

I'd always recommend staying in the Kensington/Earls Court areas, not too far out of the centre, but easy transport links, and a wide range of accomodations.

It's a fairly relaxed, cosmopolitan, comfortable area.

You'll get better tips on exactly where to stay from visitors, as the locals (naturally) don't stay in the hotels. It would be difficult to recommend a hotel anyway without knowing your budget. Just having a quick browse on the 'hotels and accomodations' section on Tripadvisor, this place seems to have a good write up;

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d192090…

Good location and you could walk to the Natural History/Science museum and the Victoria and Albert from here.

London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

Ought to mention, there is a Premier Inn in Kensington as well. You might get a better deal here.

Premier Inns and Travelodge are both fairly reliable, if unexciting, nationwide budget chains. They're not everyone's cup of tea, and the locations can be a bit isolated in some towns.

Some good reviews for this one on Tripadvisor.

www.premierinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do…

england
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

you could also consider travelodge battersea - out of the centre but cheaper and possibly quieter or the Hoxton Hotel http://www.hoxtonhotels.com/

if you're willing to trade cost for convenience. Also when are you coming? The universities rent student accommodation in the summer and Imperial College have places in South Kensington.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

Are you flying in to LHR or to LGW? If Heathrow, then you may want to take a close look at the PI Kensington. It's not much more than a two minute walk from Earl's Court station, even for a jet lagged 11 year old, and is a swell hotel.

Earl's Court Road is busy and buzzy, with shops, services and a number of restos and cafes along its length, with some suitable for families, such as Nando's and Masala Zone. There are a McDonald's and a BK (although the latter is rather cheap and nasty, whilst the chezMc is newly refurbished) near the station in case your younger family member wants something a bit familiar. There is a huge 24 hour Sainsbury's about four minutes' walk from the PI, where you can do a bit of self catering as well.

Earl's Court is perhaps 35 minutes from LHR on the Piccadilly line, and not a substantial schlep on the Picc line or District line to a number of sights and attractions. Bus number 74 is very obliging as an option to the Tube, should you wish to travel above ground.

If not the PI, then maybe consider base2stay, just a minute's walk from the PI. You may or may not like the idea of base, but it's got decent rooms, is very well maintained, with the self catering option a huge plus.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

Well, I don't yet know where we'll fly into. We haven't booked our flights yet. I keep hearing so much about avoiding Heathrow at all costs, so maybe Gatwick?

We're going to Scotland in May for 10 days, and I'll book the England flights after we get back, so have a bit of time to decide.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what part of the city to stay in?

Recommend Vicinity of Warren Street Tube Stop (1 mile radius) for easy access to tube and bus.