We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check My Itinerary Please?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Check My Itinerary Please?

Okay, I'm officially at the almost six months to go mark and I've sorta' got an itinerary figured out.

Is this doable:

1. Monday, Oct. 27th - Day One - fly to London

2. Tuesday, Oct. 28th - Arrive early into London (hopefully, around 7 a.m. or even earlier). Check into hotel and go see Westminster Abbey (as well as Big Ben and Parliament) and Churchill Museum. Take a trip back towards the hotel and hop off at Victoria to get a picture of Buckingham Palace. Go back to hotel early and get a good night's sleep.

3. Wednesday, Oct. 29th - Travel to Stratford-Upon-Avon. Have tickets to "Hamlet" there. Will hopefully get to tour the theatre pre-show.

4. Thursday, Oct. 30th - Come back to London, drop overnight bag off at hotel and hit the British Museum. It's open late so we can take our time.

5. Friday, Oct. 31st - Tower of London and St. Paul's. Take a ghost walk (still trying to figure out which one) and hit the pubs because it's my birthday.

6. Saturday, Nov. 1st - National Gallery and the Victoria & Albert Museum. If there's time, we'll go check out Picadilly Circus and possibly the London Eye pre-Ceremony of the Keys, since that doesn't start until 9:30 p.m.

7. Sunday, Nov. 2nd - Either go to Hampton Court or go to Sir John Soane's Museum and then to Covent Garden Piazza for some shopping. I'm still not sure which I prefer.

So how does that sound? Too busy? Not busy enough? My husband and I aren't really early risers so I tried to take that into account! :P

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

I"m not a local, but I've tromped around London a fair bit. It looks good to me.

The places you're going could fill your days, or get a bit compressed and still not feel too hectic if you sleep in.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,186 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

where's your hotel?

Bear in mind No 11 bus, which is a good way to get a cheap sightseeing trip if your feet hurt. It runs close to many of your points of interest.

Is Soanes museum open Sundays? don't know!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

This should solve one of your problems as the Sir John Soane's museum is closed on Sundays.

http://www.soane.org/map.html

Depending what time you get back on Thursday, you could go there first and then go to the British Museum afterwards.

Also on your arrival day, you can easily walk across St James's Park from the Churchill museum to Buckingham Palace rather than getting a bus to Victoria.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

London is so big and so much to see, I believe that you do an injustice if you don't take a HO HO bus tour. In a couple hours you get an overview of the City and get your bearings for all the places you wish to definitely see later on. Plus a Thames River cruise is included. Do this on day 1 and you still have plenty of time to see the rest of your items on the day one list.

The British Museum is like a holiday unto itself, it is so huge. Although I do like the place, it is London you came to see and I think (my humble and possibly lone opinion, time can be better spent seeing Windsor Castle or Kensington or Buckingham Palace (if open) or other parts of the City.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

We're staying at the Kensington Gardens Hotel near Queensway.

I actually think I switched up the days with the Soane's Museum, but now I can't remember. I really should write these things down. We're sorta' thinking that we might go to Hampton Court on the Sunday after all, but that's a museum I really wanted to check out.

As far as the HOHO bus tour, we're on the fence about that, as well. This trip has really become a budget trip and we'd save a little bit by not doing the bus thing! *L* Although that might be something nice to do on the Sunday, as well.

This is definitely a work in progress - and the input I get here will definitely be considered.

Oh, and as you can tell - we're museum people...

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

If you are museum people you are defintely making the trip cheaper for yourself, as many of them are free.

If you are looking to save money, then passing on the HOHO bus is a good way to do this. We always travel on a budget and haven't done one yet. You are going to see all the major sites anyway as you have planned your trip pretty well.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

I've never used it, but the Routemaster bus has been mentioned on this forum as an economical alternative to the HOHO bus:

www.geocities.com/routemasterheritageroute

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

travellingted: yes, that was definitely the point. With many of the museums being free, it seems to be a no-brainer to hit as many of them as we can. And there are so many amazing museums in London.

Also, with our visit being in late October/early November, there's the chance for the weather to be a little chilly, so a lot of what we're doing puts us indoors.

I'd never heard of the Routemaster Heritage Route - I'm checking that out now. That sounds like a good alternative!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

Can you really check in to hotels that early in the day? Won’t the previous occupants of your room still be sound asleep?

Going to celebrate your birthday in a pub on Friday at Halloween should be interesting, there should be lots of events on. Don’t forget that on that weekend there will be lots of bonfires and fireworks displays to celebrate Guy Fawkes Night / Halloween / Diwali.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Check My Itinerary Please?

To plan your journey, bookmark

www.londonisfree.com

to look at a couple of weeks before your visit.

Also have a look at

http://www.london-city-churches.org.uk/

which should somewhere have information about free lunchtime concerts, and has churches older than the current St Paul’s cathedral. Personally, I find St Helens Bishopsgate to be wonderful.