We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath and Stonehenge

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Bath and Stonehenge

Is train to Bath and then to Salisbury to Stonehenge dooable in one day? I know there are coach tours that do Bath and Stonehenge but would prefer to train if possible.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath and Stonehenge

Certainly it's doable in a day, and you could also do a third journey from Salisbury back to London.

London Paddington station to Bath (1 hr 30 minutes), Bath to Salisbury (1 hour), Salisbury to London Waterloo station (2 hours). 4 hrs 30 minutes in total, so you wouldn't have much time to spend elsewhere.

If you're instead planning to stay overnight in Salisbury then that would be a better option.

Go to this site and enter various travel options to see the various train times:

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath and Stonehenge

Are you really unable to spend a night away from London ? if you have to use the train the best bet would be Salisbury first, out to Stonehenge on the bus, then back to Salisbury and on to Baaf. Then you could leave Bath on the last train: if you do it the other way you would be lucky to get two hours in Bath. I have never done it, but the bus from Salisbury to Stonehenge must be at least .5 hours, not allowing for waiting time.

If you could spend a night in Baaf then you could do Stonehenge (leave bag at the station), then a couple of hours in Salisbury (esp the cathedral) then Baaf for the evening, Roman Baths, etc next day and a leisurely trip back to town in the evening.

Coach tours are not for the faint hearted - I believe they get about 2 hours in Baaf.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath and Stonehenge

Hi, This question was asked (the other way around) the other day, and I worked out some timings. Yes it's possible, but it's very rushed, in my opinion. Here's that thread...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k19283…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath and Stonehenge

"would prefer to train if possible."

Why? It will take longer and give you less time* at the destinations, so unless your plan is just to complete the journey for a bet and not bother seeing much at the destinations, I wouldn't advise it.

* as in, practically none.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
573 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath and Stonehenge

I wouldn't like to try to fit it all into one day. You'd get very little time in Bath, which would be an injustice to Bath. I think the better suggestion to maybe stay 1 night in Salisbury is worth thinking about, either that or join a tour.

6. Re: Bath and Stonehenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 08:40