We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who sends postcards home?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Topic
Who sends postcards home?

Reading Angela from Milwaukee's thread about how to address a postcard got me thinking as to whether you send postcards home.

If I didn't live in London and was visiting and was going to send a postcard then it would be one with Tower Bridge on it.

If you do, or indeed if you don't but were to change, what would be on your ideal London postcard?

Milwaukee WI
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who sends postcards home?

Thank goodness! When I read your topic heading, Mick, I thought you were going to heckle me about sending postcards :)

I always try to send postcards from wherever I am at and try to match them up with the person's personality. It's kind of like a little souvenier to them.

For instance, I have a friend who is totally into Henry VIII history so I would probably do a Tower of London or Hampton Court postcard. My sister likes tapestries and needlework so I would try to find one that had something like that on it.

For general postcards in London, I think Tower Bridge would be an excellent choice because it is such a well know structure that is associated with London.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who sends postcards home?

I always send a postcard home, even if we're all on vacation together. It's nice to come across a postcard amongst the stack of bills in the post-vacation pile of mail!

My ideal postcard from London would include Big Ben and a monkey. My daughter asked me to send her a postcard with chimpanzees (like the Barenaked Ladies' song) on my last two trips, and the closest I came was one featuring a certain large-eared royal.

I usually send postcards with Big Ben or the Tower Bridge, as both images always bring a smile to my face.

Milwaukee WI
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who sends postcards home?

Oh, and I always buy some from any shops that are in a museum or the like--a couple here and there and then sit down and match them up that way. And, if I have extras left over, I keep them for my souveniers as the pictures on them are so nice.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,396 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who sends postcards home?

I usually send a card to a friend from work whose children are very keen on cards from exotic places, or so she reports.

I've a friend in Spain who always sends cards when he travels - which is often, the lucky retired git - so I return the favour to him as well.

I like to send multi-picture cards, but not with more than four panels on the front, as the images get too small if there are too many in place. My ideal card .... hm. Would include a Routemaster, the view of St Paul's from Ludgate Hill, trees in St James's Park and a shot of the front of the New Piccadilly caff - the latter sadly no longer available.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who sends postcards home?

Slightly off topic, but I check out the postcards in museum and gallery gift shops at the start of my visit. There is a chance I will recognize something and think, "Oh, cool, I didn't know that was here! Where is it?"

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who sends postcards home?

I send them to my little niece and nephew - usually the iconic London things. I also like the multi-picture cards - to show more of London.

I'll also buy postcards for myself. They're a great addition to scrapbooks and photo albums when you can't take photos - like inside palaces, castles, buildings, etc...

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who sends postcards home?

I do try to send one postcard for my grandmother when I travel. She never did travel outside of the US (and is almost 95 so she won't even leave her town now) but she is always fascinated. I try to get her one architecture picture. Even though her site is gone - she still enjoys getting them from me.

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who sends postcards home?

I always send me, a postcard of my favourite place of the trip. So when I'm back at work I have a nice memory to start my day when it arrives!

Buckingham Palace for me.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who sends postcards home?

hrhweezie, you can now get DVD 'postcards' which your grandmother might enjoy as they have soundtrack. Regional/National traditional music CD might also be interesting to listen to.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who sends postcards home?

bobelinks - what a fabulous idea. Thanks so much for mentioning it. I will have to look for them when i arrive in 12 days!!!

woo hoo - I do hope that the UK is ready for my arrival!! :)