We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Primrose Hill

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Primrose Hill

Hello,

Im coming to London this wednesday and I want to visit Primrose Hill for that amazing view over London.

What is the nearest tube to Primrose Hill?

And how long does it take to walk from the tube station to the best viewpoint?

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Primrose Hill

Chalk Farm tube.

A pleasant 10 minute walk uphill - ask directions as it's round the corner and over a bridge.

A few minutes downhill is Camden Lock.

15 mins uphill is Belsize Park and then Hampstead village.

Hope it's a clear day.

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Primrose Hill

Best time of day is first light, as well. There's only really one viewpoint - at the top of the hill.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Primrose Hill

No-one ever seems to mention the view from the top of Hampstead Heath next to Kenwood (Highgate side) where there's a designated viewpoint.

I haven't recommended it before because it's difficult to reach by public transport - tube to Golders Green and 210 bus to Kenwood - but I reckon it's better than Primrose Hill's view, and there's a long engraved brass plaque showing what you can see.

The grounds of Kenwood House are lovely, as is the house.

I was walking there yesterday and saw a handkerchief tree in flower - really lovely and as it sounds.

I'm never out early in the morning, Chantal, but doesn't it tend to be misty then?

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Primrose Hill

There's a haze sometimes yes, but then again there's usually a bit of smog over London. It's nice cos it's quiet and cool in summer.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Primrose Hill

You can reach that Kenwood viewpoint by walking along the Heath from Highgate village - there's a private road (marked by a car barrier) that cuts down from The Grove to the pond area. Walk on to the Heath and cut right or walk along the shady path that runs behind the women's bathing pond.

The Primrose Hill walk is a nice thing to combine with Camden - not far beyond The Stables you turn left up to Primrose Hill near Marine Ices & walk across an iron bridge. You can walk right down into London through Regent's Park afterwards.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Primrose Hill

You are right about getting there from Highgate village, but that is rather far from an underground station, which is why I suggested coming from the other side.

But it is a lovely walk - after lunch at the Flask, perhaps.

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Primrose Hill

Awww excellent thanks - i will print this page out and visit both primrose hill and hampstead heath!!

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Primrose Hill

If you want a threesome, the view from Alexandra Palace is similar but bigger as it's further out. Go to Greenwich Park for a completely different view of London.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Primrose Hill

Hi OF

If you really mean to do both, you like walking and have plenty of time then....

Get the underground to Golders Green on the Northern line.

Get the 210 bus; it goes up to Whitestone pond at the top of Hampstead(you should look at the route from there to decide if you want to walk back or catch the bus) and when it gets to the top of the hill, it takes a left past a good old pub, the Spaniards Inn, which you might want to have lunch at, past the Bishops Avenue (known as Millionaires' Road) and you should get off at Kenwood House.

Walk into the grounds and to the left past the house. You might recognise the setting from numerous films - particularly Notting Hill where they set the fil within the film. You might like to look inside the house? There's a cafe down some steps in the old kitchens, by the way.

The view is just through the gate - there's a little roof over the viewing point.

Walk back through Kenwood and out the other side, keeping going across the Heath till you reach Whitestone Pond again, or take the main road if you prefer, or a mixture.

Walk left at the pond and straight down the hill and left at Hampstead station. Don't go left at the traffic lights by the pond, but continue straight on and take a left at the next lights by the station.

Keep going down the hill, past Belsize Park station and take a right sometime after that, to Primrose Hill.

Get the tube back from Chalk Farm, though you might like to wander around Camden Lock first.

You will be completely knackered but it's a flat or downhill walk all the way and easily doable if your shoes are comfortable and you are fit.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Elaine

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Primrose Hill

Just rememembered there are 3 entrances to Kenwood House and I'm not sure exactly where the busstop is....you might go in the third entrance in which case you come in at the viewing point, the other side of the house.

You want to be to the just to the left of the house (when facing it with your back to the main road)

And walk along the back of the house where there are views of the lake, and it goes through to the Heath, not the front which just goes back to the road.

I think Alexandra Palace is too complicated to add on that day, by public transport - maybe next time?