We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way from london to coventry

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
best way from london to coventry

Hi,

Going from London to Coventry for a day trip...

what is the best way? via train?

our hotel in London is in the EC2 area

we are going to the CV1 area in Coventry...

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

p.s.

are gas prices really 5 pounds (10 us dollars) per gallon there?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best way from london to coventry

Petrol is around that sort of figure - but it's a UK gallon rather than the titchy thing used in the US.

As for Coventry, plenty of direct trains from Euston

Book in advance on www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com to get best prices of around £10.50 each way

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way from london to coventry

Hi

I'd recommend taking the train. Takes just over an hour from London Euston station.

To reach Euston from EC2, take the Underground (Metropolitan or Circle Line) from Liverpool Street station to Euston Square and walk 100 yards down Euston Road or Northern Line from Moorgate and Bank direct to Euston.

www.nationalrail.co.uk will give you times and fares. Coventry station is on the edge of the city which is all CV1 postcode.

And yes, petrol is $10/£5 per gallon! To drive from EC2 to CV1 will mean negotiating through North London on to the M1 motorway and roughly an 80 mile drive to Coventry which will take twice as long and probably cost twice as much as the train

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way from london to coventry

Fuel prices vary from 109.9p a litre (the cheapest I've seen) to over 120p per litre, so yes, £5 a gallon it would be. Almost 50% of that cost is fuel duty.

The beast thing to do would be to get the train from London Euston or Paddington to Coventry (there are works on the line round Rugby, so you will have to change trains at the weekend). Check www.thetrainline.com for times. You will go from Euston in the week, and won't have to change if you are travelling monday to friday.

There are usually plenty of taxis available outside the station or you can walk into town. What is it you want to see??

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way from london to coventry

Thanks!

Will send you a message.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way from london to coventry

thanks, everyone!

alanrow:

could not find fares for 10.50 pounds,

instead, the prices are 50+ pounds! wow

thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best way from london to coventry

<<< could not find fares for 10.50 pounds >>>

I could, booking 3 weeks in advance.

UK trains are generally like airlines - the later you book the more expensive

Give us the date of travel and we'll probably be able to tell you why

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way from london to coventry

Hi PinkyBlue,

The easiest and quickest way to Coventry is on the train from London Euston. On the Virgin Pendelino service it is only 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Coventry station is a 5 minute walk to Coventry City Centre which is CV1.

If you need specific directions let me know.

Cath

West Midlands
Level Contributor
157 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way from london to coventry

Hi,

the cheapest way i have found is the megabus(megabus.com) leaving Vicoria Coach Station daily at 09.30/14.00/18.30/21.15/and 23.45 - you can book online or by phone and it takes just over 2 hours. Your drop off in Coventry is in Canley next to Tesco's where you can get a bus or taxi into city centre (approx 3 miles). We are using the megabus to go to London at the end of the month - everyone i know who has used it has been impressed with the low cost and the service. For example 3 of us are going on a Friday and returning on Sunday the total cost was less than 20.00 - amazing value for money!

Good luck

Bushbaby 41

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best way from london to coventry

On checking a random date a couple of weeks ahead I found a number of options in each direction on the Euston / Coventry route for £10.50 (advance singles). Provided you don't want to travel outward during the morning peak there would be no need to consider using open singles @£53 - cheap day / saver returns are available for £36.70 on the 0940hrs departure (and later services); these tickets permit return on any service, even during the evening peak. Furthermore for saver returns there's no need to book in advance i.e. it's a 'walk up' ticket which can be purchased immediately prior to travel and you are not committed to a particular return train.

Service on this route is frequent at 2 to 3 trains per hour, journey time is 65 minutes.

10. Re: best way from london to coventry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 09:30