We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Pass

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
London Pass

Has anyone used the lOndon Pass? It appears to be a great value and can be used from Heathrow to Downtown.

What are the pluses and minuses of the London Pass.

Thanks,

Harry

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London Pass

1) it isn't great value - the travel option is a rip off that even Michael O'Leary would be embarrassed to try.

2) it encourages you to get "value" from it - so you end up rushing from pillar to post to "see" as mkuch as you can.

3) it's expensive

4) you miss out on all the FREE museums & galleries that London (and the rest of the UK) offer)

5) it's expensive

A far better option is a PAPER London Travelcard and using the offers on www.2for1entry.co.uk

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Pass

The travel option is definitely not a bargain, as very few visitors will require a zones 1-6 Travelcard.

Frequent poster hoogo made a worksheet with the fees for sights and attractions if paid individually, with the Londonpass or with the two for one offers. Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/yo46ln for more info.

Unless you plan to sprint from place to place, it may not be worth buying, but it is up to you to decide.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London Pass

Used it a few weeks ago. We really liked having it, as well as the 2for1 vouchers. The only thing I regret was purchasing 7 day travelcard with the London Pass. I realised as soon as I bought it that we didn't need a zones 1-6 travelcard as everything we did, except Windsor Castle, was in zone 1. The travelcard did have the national rail crows feet logo on it though which meant the 2for1 vouchers were valid too.

We used the London Pass for: Tower of London entry (as well as 20% off food), Kensington Palace & The Orangery, Royal Mews, Churchill Museum & Cabinet War Rooms, The Queens Gallery, Jasons Original Canal Boat Trip, Windsor Castle, discount off Big Bus Company, discount off French Brothers River Cruise at Windsor, Hard Rock Cafe, Beatles Store.

Had also planned to use it at HMS Belfast, Globe Theatre, St Pauls, Tower Bridge Exhibition however time and teenager interest wandered off in different directions.

There are a lot of free entry museums and galleries in London if that is what you are interested in. My teenagers were not really interested in them so most of the other options cost.

We used 2for1 for Westminster Abbey. The Big Bus Company which was firstly discounted, also included a cruise which was very good, and the choice of three walking tours which we chose to do the Royal one which was also very good. Could have purchased discounted tickets on bus for London Dungeon but I honestly didn't think we would be doing that. However, last day in London teenagers wanted to do something different and silly for a laugh, creepiness, a scare, etc. so opted for London Dungeon. They had a great time there. Go figure!

I also purchased theatre tickets to three shows through the London Pass website, all at discounted prices. This process took a while as I kept checking what seats were offered against Theatre Monkeys seat reviews but I'm glad I did as we had great seats at all three shows, and we collected our tickets at box office just before show time.

In summary my thoughts on London Pass are probably it was great having paid in advance for it so it didn't feel like we were continually shelling out big amounts of money (family of 4) for numerous attractions on a daily basis; we did go into some things we would not have normally done such as Royal Mews (which we enjoyed) and Queens Gallery (which we didn't but also didn't feel like we had to stick out a certain amount of time there to 'get' our money's worth) but this may have been at the cost of the time to do some of the other things we had planned like Globe, Tower Bridge, etc.

If it had just been husband and myself we would probably have been more disciplined in what we saw. Also some things we had already seen on a previous trip but went back to to show our kids. We could have enjoyed some of the more unusual things on the London Pass.

My husband did like that most of our tourist attractions and tube/bus fares were covered so we only needed to daily budget food & drinks & souvenirs.

We were in London in April and the crowds weren't too bad anywhere. If in summer when the crowds are bigger, the London Pass can get you to the front of the queue this would be an advantage too.

Hope this helps.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Pass

great post Auzkaz!

We too looked over the Londonpass vs. 2for1 and decided to do the 2for1 instead. For the things we wanted to do, the 2for1 saved us about $200 over the Londonpass for our family of 4.

What I did was cut and paste all of the attractions you get on the Londonpass into Excel, then alongside noted whether the 2for1 also applied. After that, we went down the list and talked about what the family was interested in seeing, and the large majority was not covered on the Londonpass. In Auzkaz's list of things she used the Londonpass for, only the Tower of London is something we did, and we used the 2for1 there. Our family wasn't interested in the things Auzkaz's family used their Londonpass for, other than the Tower.

Bottom line is, it really depends on what you want to do, there are MANY more options of things to see on the Londonpass, but many of them are things you would never pay to do otherwise, so there is no actual savings. We found the 2for1 offer hit most of the things we did that required an entrance fee, mix them in with the fabulous free museums and you can easily fill a week with quality.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Pass

I used the London Pass without travel in 2006 - my first trip to London. We definitely got our money's worth but were quite rushed going to many different places. I LIKED:

1. not having to wait in line but surprisingly we didn't run into many line ups anyway and we went in August.

2. not having to carry around the cash for attractions and having them paid for before I left.

I had heard about the 2 for 1 offers and looked into it but I thought they expired in May so didn't think they'd work for me so that's why I went with the London Pass. This time I realize the 2 for 1 offers extend to the end of Sept so I will be using them instead. With the London Pass I went to many places I wouldn't have if I didn't have the pass and in hindsight, I would rather spend more time walking or at museums than going to a lot of small venues not that interesting to me.

Kissimmee
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Pass

In no special order, what we liked about the London Pass with Travel:

Avoiding long waits; avoiding money changing and ticket buyng for transportation; airport transport is included---a great savings!

Note: Purchase PRIOR to leaving home! Since there differences between issuers of the PASS, I recommend you avoid purchasing thru EURAIL because you must validate at specfic locations only. As a result, we had to purchase a separate transportation ticket to a validating location---difficult to find.

7. Re: London Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 13:16