We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

I will be flying back to Toronto with my family (husband and 2 kids - 5 yrs and 7 yrs) from London after a transatlantic cruise. The only airlines I could see that had reasonable rates were Zoom and Canadian Affair. When I looked them both up on the internet, I can see complaints about both (eg. cancelled or delayed flights).

Does anyone recommend either one? Which would be more reliable?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

Canadian Affair are owned by Air Transat. Their flights to the East Coast are generally on Thomas Cook 757s.

I flew to/from Ottawa last week from Gatwick with CA (Thomas Cook 757) and I had no problems at all. There was plenty of legroom and I enjoyed the two meals served to me in each direction.

I don't know about Zoom.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

Bedlace, who often posts here but can usually be found at the Halifax forum, has flown with both airlines.

I think she said she prefers Canadian Affair, but you may want to drop her a PM to enquire further.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

I have used CA 4 times now and go to say you get a good service for what you are paying.

Only had one problem with them once I got bumpt from the flight as I was boarding the plane, as they had over booked it. (did not mind though as they had to pay me £320 comp by law for doing so). But i was a single male traveling on my own. so you will be fine.

and yes i would use them again.

have fun.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

As TP wrote, I've used both with no problems, at least not any more than I'd experienced with Air Canada. However I wouldn't fly Zoom unless I paid for an upgrade. Their leg room in steerage is meant for midgets. Canadian Affair (Thomas Cook) gives you business class leg room in steerage. And I do prefer flying in and out of Gatwick, as opposed to Heathrow.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

I use ZOOM to fly to Cardiff, never had any problems.

I pay the extra for the upgrade which doubles the price but it's better than flying into Heathrow or Gatwick and then having to travel to Cardiff.

Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

Don't know what Zoom are like, but I can relate my experiences with Canadianaffair and will never fly with them again.

My wife and I travelled from Toronto to Manchester with Canadianaffair ten days ago with reserved seat positions for the return flight back to Toronto on Wednesday July 23rd.

Upon arrival at Manchester Airport for the return trip we were refused boarding and told to see the representative at the Canadianaffair office. We did this and were then informed that despite having reserved seat positions we may not be given a seat on the flight due to overbooking. We were flabbergasted and angry. We also had to wait around for a few hours to find out if we would be allowed on the flight. To cut a long story short, we were not permitted to board the flight and were told that we should return the next day where we would be boarded on a British Airways flight to Heathrow and then given a further British Airways flight to Toronto. As a consequence we are now waiting for tomorrows events to unfold.

The Canadianaffair staff told us that overbookings of 25 seats is a common occurrence with Cadianaffair. The overbooking on our flight was only five seats they said.

This was our second trip with Canadianaffair this year. The first one in April 2008 didn't go well either as the aircraft lost cabin pressure on the outbound flight from Toronto and we were diverted back to Montreal for an unanticipated overnight hotel stay. I don't blame Canadianaffair for this unexpected incident, however I find their overbooking practises to be totally unacceptable.

We will never fly with this Company again and I caution anyone else considering their flights. My

wife commented to the Canadianaffair representative at Manchester airport that his job must be very difficult. He replied that this was one of the better days and that he generally had to break similar bad news to many more passengers than was the case today.

My advice to anyone reading this is to avoid using Canadianaffair, they do not deserve your business. Their overbooking practices are unethical and deplorable. What looks like a guaranteed flight turns out to be standby in disguise.

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

I travelled from Glasgow to Calgary and back from Toronto with Zoom and found them to be really good. Good service for the price I paid for the tickets.

Decided against Canadian Affair as I found alot of bad reviews.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

"Upon arrival at Manchester Airport for the return trip we were refused boarding and told to see the representative at the Canadianaffair office. We did this and were then informed that despite having reserved seat positions we may not be given a seat on the flight due to overbooking. We were flabbergasted and angry. We also had to wait around for a few hours to find out if we would be allowed on the flight."

EXACTLY my daughters very unpleasant experience on CA at Gatwick maybe 2 months ago, they decide who to bump ahead of time and she was one of 3 (there was another couple also) even though we were very early at check in. If they decide to bump you, you could get there first in the check in queue and still be denied boarding.

We wont every fly them again because of this, at least with other airlines its decided by whoever gets their last so you have some control by checking in early.

I was told their criteria for bumping are;

Long stay people (your return is more than 2 weeks away), and people going 'home', presumably on the grounds that that's less disrupting to those people than someone on a weeks trip but it takes no account of whatever other commitments or connecting flights they may have.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

After recommending Canadian Affair for a number of years, I experienced their outrageous bumping policy last Thurs. at Gatwick. It didn't matter that I'm waiting for a hip replacement and walking with a cane, that I bought and paid for my ticket (and paid extra for reserved seats) last Dec. 7, and that I was checking in 20 minutes before check-in officially started. They had overbooked by 4 seats and their policy is to bump people travelling alone and/or returning home. And the lucky few had been selected days earlier. But they would get us hotel rooms, pay our meals and phone calls, and fly us to Toronto the next morning and then some unspecified time later, to Halifax. (For those not familiar with Canadian geography, Toronto is a 2 1/2 hour flight west of Halifax. It's not next door.)

I nearly had a heart attack. In Toronto, I'd have a long walk to Customs and Immigration, then have to get my luggage, change terminals, check in again, and depending on the airline, a very lengthy walk to the gate for the flight to Halifax. None of this mattered to Cdn. Affair. I was travelling alone and returning home - so too bad.

We were told to come back to the "help" desk in 2 hours, when check-in closed and that they thought they'd be able to board 2 of us.

I was one of the 2 lucky ones who did get on the flight. But not in the seat that I'd paid for (and no offer of a refund), and certainly nothing as nice as a free glass of wine as recompense for our turmoil. And to crown it off, when I got my luggage in Halifax, they'd totally wrecked one of my suitcases.

I have travelled a lot in my life - both personal and business - and I know that all airlines overbook. But the norm is to try to get volunteers to be bumped by offering some incentives. And if this doesn't work, to bump the last people to check in.

Not Canadian Affair. Their policy is unacceptable and if I have any choice, I will not be flying with them again.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airline is better? Zomm or Canadian Affair?

Wow, Bedlace, your story is horrible. Unfortunately, charter carriers as you know do not operate under regular rules and do not have to follow what are more standard procedures for bumping people off. A shame for you indeed.

For the last many years I have stuck with AC because of the many flights to London that they have from Canada. getting bumped (not that it has happened to me) at least means a reasonably good chance of getting on one or another of the dozen or so dailies to/from Canada. And then, if they do not follow published rules in their tariff for bumping people compensation can be had (even if one has to go through TC's complaints division). BA is the other good option to/from Canada, I think.

I though Canadian Affair was an operator and that Transat buys and resells seats on their planes (and not that AT owns CA). AT also puts people on Mytravel as far as I can tell.