We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Tea

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
High Tea

My elderly aunt (lets hope she never hears me say that!!) is going to London in about a month. She has always wanted to have a "proper british high tea"... so I have two questions...

Do brits still have proper high teas (I presume she's talking about tea and scones and such like, but I'm not really sure)?

And, if so, where in Central London is a good place to have one? I would presume, knowing her, that she would want a place with traditional rather then modern ambience...

Thanks

M

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Tea

Fortnum and Mason has an excellent High Tea, I also like Harrod's Georgian Room High Tea. The Dorchester Hotel also is excellent. I think most of the London 'big name' hotels probably have High Tea every day. Last time I was at Harrod's I think it was around ��18-19 and Fortnum and Mason's was either ��20-21.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Tea

Actually, your "elderly" aunt is probably wanting an "Afternoon Tea" instead of a "High Tea." High Tea is a more of a term meaning a working-class dinner. Afternoon Tea is the tea with the little finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam and fancy pastries.

We've done several teas in London over the years (Fortnum & Mason, Brown's, Basil Street Hotel, Orangery at Kensington Palace, Marriott County Hall.) All of the major hotels and most of the major department stores serve afternoon tea.

Here are a couple websites that will give you some more information:

www.londontown.com/London/Afternoon_Tea_Time/

www.elegant-lifestyle.com/afternoon-teas.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Tea

Afternoon Tea is the traditional British tea- scones, cakes etc. High Tea is also popular and includes hot savouries as well. High Tea used to be a Britsh working class supper but is very popular with tourists and quite a few of the London hotels now offer it. The Ritz is probably the top place for Afternoon Tea (although my personal favourite is the Lanesborough) and The Dorchester does High Tea. You may want to do a search on this as this subject has come up many times and you will find a variety of experiences and opinions on it. As for Brits having afternoon tea my grandmothers generation are the only ones I know who still have it at home.

Hackettstown, New...
Level Contributor
187 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Tea

As the other users replied, most large department stores serve Afternoon Tea in wonderful fashion. I've only had it at Fortnum & Mason, which is centrally located (about 2 minutes from Picadilly Circus), but it's so great there I never wanted to go anywhere else! The most important thing, wherever your aunt decides to go, is to book in advance. We had to move back our planned tea time, because no spots were available for the date we wanted, anywhere. The prices ranged from 13 GBP (for tea and scones a la carte at FnM) to well over 25 GBP at other locations. It's a real treat, however, and your aunt will definitely enjoy herself wherever she goes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Tea

I've never booked in advance at F&M or Harrods, no problems getting in either, must have just chosen a lucky time to go!

Texas
Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Tea

Had tea at F&M a couple of weeks ago. We booked for 4:00, but there was plenty of room in the St. James Restaurant. It is very hot and stuffy there, though.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: High Tea

magrat,

My friend and I

had tea at the Dorchester Hotel. It was just wonderful. The service was excellent. The tea and food was also excellent.

I would recommed it to anyone.

edeltraut

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Tea

drtee,

Was it on one of the hot hot June days ?

I was there recently on one of the average temp'd days,& it was fine.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Tea

I was thinking of going for tea at the Dorchester as well, edeltraut.

Did you have the Afternoon Tea or High Tea there? What time of day did you go?

Texas
Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Tea

It was June 27.