We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Plaza Riverbank

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Park Plaza Riverbank

Hello, I am thinking about staying at the Park Plaza Riverbank hotel. At the end of the evening, I have visions of just popping down to the riverside and looking out at the riverside view, before going to bed. Does anyone know if the hotel is near enough to the river to do that, without too much of a walk back and also is it safe enough to do that in that area?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

The website clearly shows the hotel is next to the river.

The map shows it is across the road from the river and there's a little green on the river bank.

The website shows a room with a good river view.

The hotel backs on to a big railway line (in to Waterloo).

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,627 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

I have stayed at this hotel - it is absolutely possible to pop down (and cross a busy road). You are almost opp the Houses of Parliament although it is a bit of a trek to the more ambulatory parts of the South Bank cafes and bars. Safe but for the traffic!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

Thanks both. The traffic is putting me off a bit. Doesn't quite fit in with my romantic vision! Any other ideas for a riverside experience? I know about the Premier Inn near the Anchor on Southbank, the Premier Inn behind County Hall and the rather out of price range Swissotel. Any other ideas? Thanks,

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

Wyndham Grand - Chelsea harbour -- Sure its just what you are looking for - however might just be a bit too Grand for your budget !

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

Another idea not so grand this time

the Guoman Tower hotel

used to be called the Tower Thistle= right by tower bridge

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

City Inn Westminster has some riverview rooms. Though you'd still have to walk for four or five minutes to get to the river itself.

The Plaza on the River is, as it says on the tin, "on the River". But I understand it's on the pricier side.

Suspect that, to get a good deal on a riverside hotel, you might have to migrate downriver to somewhere like Kingston-upon-Thames. Just an idea.

However, the Premier Inn in County Hall is just beside the river. Literally two minutes walk away from the London Eye. No riverview rooms. But it might be your best bet for a reasonably priced hotel near the river.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

The City Inn is a safer bet as long as you specify a river view. There have been reviews on this site of the Park Plaza suggesting that you are more likely to get a room backing onto the railway even if you have requested one with a river view.

The Marriott County Hall shares the same building as the Premier Inn and has river views but is a lot more expensive. The Royal Horseguards is another possibility although I think they may be upgrading the top floor rooms (those with views) at the moment.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

I work behind the Riverbank Park Plaza and can confirm that it is on the river!

If you have a riverview room it will be good with views of the Houses of Parliament, Thames house etc.

It is on the Albert Embankment and will be safe enough to go out and 'view the river'

If you have a room at the back of the hotel the view will not be scenic as it backs onto the railway, some old blocks of flats and my office!

Don't worry about the road it is busy, but not noisy busy.

It is a nice hotel in a reasonably central location but there is not alot to do around there at night.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

I stayed at the Park Plaza Riverbank two weeks back. It is expensive and is modern with well equipped rooms. There is a basement restaurant; VG for breakfast buffet (hot food not VG); also a very good but pricey "Asian type fusion" restaurant.

Because of problems I was upgraded to lovely room overlooking river and Parliament. However, management not very responsive to complaints; non-smoking room VERY smelly with smoke; carpet not well cleaned. I was told by reception that if I had been at back of hotel (overlooking the many and busy railroad lines), I would not have been able to sleep!

I go to London quite frequently on business and would not stay at this hotel again.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park Plaza Riverbank

AND ... they debited my credit card twice which I only discovered by accident. Was put right but no apology !!!!

Remember, I'm not happy with this hotel, and I'm being reimbursed by my company. So even if "free" I wouldn't go back.