We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford Parking

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Oxford Parking

We are visiting Blenheim Palace In June then Oxford the same day. I have heard it is crazy to drive a rental car into Oxford, Where would we find public parking?

Once we park what would be a great way to spend a couple hours on foot. Dinner?

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,024 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford Parking

There are large "park and ride" car parks round the edges of Oxford. You park your car there and take a special bus into the centre. I have done this a couple of times and it is quite easy.

Tthere are some car parks near the centre if you are brave enough:

www.oxford.gov.uk/transport/car-parking.cfm

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford Parking

You might get a better response posting in the Oxford forum rather than the London forum ;-) But as the previous poster suggests, I'd use the Park & Ride sites on the outskirts of the town, which will be well signposted.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford Parking

I am computer dyslexic and can't seem to make this website go to the forums I want. So for the time being I will just stick with London, because you're all just so darn nice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford Parking

WOW I have received a great MAP on the website provided. Excellent instructions recommending payment by telephone but nothing mentioning the poor rental car tourist without a cell phone who must pay cash.

Are you allowed to make payment the old fashioned way?

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford Parking

As an ex-resident of Oxford and having worked in the centre - ANY motorist driving into Oxford is mad and anyone trying to park there is even more mad.

There are EXCELLENT park & ride car parks on four sides of Oxford; very well signposted; free parking and very cheap and frequent buses right into the centre with stops on city centre streets you would not be allowed to drive through.

City centre parking is very very expensive; Oxford does not want your car!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford Parking

As another former Oxford resident, I would concur with comments about not driving into the city centre. There are pay machines in the car parks which take coins and issue tickets. Don't forget to take note of which park and ride you are parked when catching the bus back from Oxford (each park and ride has its own bus). If you are approaching Oxford from Blenheim/Woodstock, the most convenient park and ride will be the Peartree.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford Parking

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186361-i440-Oxf…

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford Parking

Dinner? Pandesia, Folly Bridge. Okay, it's Eastern-influenced rather than Fish and Chips but the location on the river (and let's face it, very little in the way of pubs and restaurants are on the river bank in Oxford) is fantastic.

As Carrsmill has said Pear Tree park and ride is your best bet, coming in from Woodstock.

9. Re: Oxford Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 23:19