We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in a Day

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
London in a Day

On Friday, I have a connecting flight in London. We will be flying into London at 7am and flying out around 10pm. Any suggestions on a path/circuit we could use to see the most sights in an eight hour time-frame? Thanks.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
619 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London in a Day

If you just literally want to say you've seen the most sights - perhaps something like riding one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tour circuits? (theoriginaltour.com/tour_information/page_35…)

Alternatively, perhaps something from the London Walks list for the day would cover the main things you'd like to see? (www.walks.com/Homepage/Friday/default.aspx)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London in a Day

If you're up for a lomg walk then you could follow all or part of the walk from my posts below. This is a walk I did last year that takes in the some of London's attractions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k12326…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k12347…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k12398…

If you don't fancy walking then the Hop On Hop off buses are a good way to get an overview of the city.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London in a Day

I just left London a few weeks ago, and can tell you the best bet on how to do a London in a day trip. (At least as far as I did it with my friend.)

We bought all day passes on the Tube, which was very helpful from getting from site to site. Although I did have 4 days in London, it's still worth the investment on getting an all day's pass for the Tube.

Pick up a magazine (free) in London called "London Planner" which will give you all sorts of ideas of what to see, how much admission is to certain places, and where they are located. (Pgs 22-23 gives you an excellent map of most large tourist sites and the Tube stations they are near.)

Most of the sites you can visit for free until you are wanting to tour the facility. If there are particular places you want to visit (ie: Westminister Abbey, Tower of London, etc) be aware that some of their last tours are about midday.

Hackneys can cost you some big money, but in the evening, are well worth the adventure of being in one. Most of the cabbies are extremely nice and polite!

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Enjoy London!! I absolutely LOVED it there!

PS. Make sure you get to Heathrow (as I'm presuming that's where your flying in to/out of) about 2-3 hours before your flight leaves. They are big sticklers about checking in.

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London in a Day

Just returned from 5 days in London, had a great time. One day is tough, plan well ahead. The bus tour was not good for us due to lots of traffic and rain. Tower of London is my favorite but takes at least 2 hours. Lots of museums are free, you could just duck in and duck out. However, all that advice aside, my real advice is to do less and savor it more. My family spent 10 days over there (to say I could go back in a heartbeat is an understatement) and did so much rushing and checking things off our master list, that we missed stuff at the actual locations. Pick a few sights that you really want to see and save the rest for a next time. Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cath. were awe-inspiring but you'll probably not be able to see both. Good luck.

BonideC
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London in a Day

We went on a Duck tour - a DUKW, which takes you round the sights, then down to the river and into the water, along the Thames for 30 minutes. It leaves from near the London Eye. It is an exciting feeling, and very moving, because these were the vehicles used in the Normandy landings, but they went into the sea about 3 miles off-shore. A very good trip.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London in a Day

I love London Walks

If you plan it right you can do one in the morning and another in the afternoon (can add another in the evening if you are up to it)

I'd just pick from what they have to offer for the day you are there. You'll never see it all in one day - so why not just relax and see what you can at a reasonable pace. I've done the 2 tours in one day and with the proper planning you can have a nice lunch between them.

The morning guides are always helpful with lunch tips and they have always been good ones.

Enjoy your trip, I'm going for 3 days in June and then another 3 days in Paris - taking tours with their sister Paris Walks.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London in a Day

The best thing to do (I think its already been mentioned) is the sightseeing bus tour, which takes you around all the major sights within 2-3 hours, which is definitely the easiest way to see everything. I would always suggest to spend at least a few days in London to really get the feel of the place though, but if you are strapped for time, the bus is definitely the best method.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London in a Day

Buses are so much better as you can see where you are and if you see something that you want to look more closely at, you can get off, whereas on the tubes you cannot see anything.

I much prefer buses, you'll see a lot more of London that way, especially if you are sitting upstairs! Great fun!

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London in a Day

I'm not a great fan of bus tours

but I suppose it all depends on how active you are.

On walking tours there is also more opportunities for interaction amongst your fellow tourists.

I think on a bus you are pretty much glued to the person sitting next to you.

Again I'd simply try for a few sites or areas and see them in a bit more detail than a drive by.

For myself I've done both and never really enjoyed London this way till I found the walking tours.

If you do buy a bus tour... check Gray Lines website (you can get a AAA discount) I think zillions of people sell the same tours - and the hotels are especially keen on steering you to one or another.

Best of Luck

San Diego
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London in a Day

Focus on a part of town rather than trying to spend a lot of time in transit from one to another. A suggestion would be the triangle around Buckingham Palace (the palace, adjoining palaces, Royal Mews, etc), Trafalger Square (National Museum, National Portrait Museum), and then go down Whitehall by Downing Street to Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Churchill War Rooms, etc. For these the three "Tube" locations would be Victoria Station (the tube stop not the train station), Charing Cross, and Westminster.

Savor what you can in the time available, then start planning for another trip back to this great city.