We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - usual Monday morning

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
London - usual Monday morning

Well, not quite.

Today is the day when we're all very much getting back to normal - off to school & work.

Many people stayed away from work on Friday. Locally, Friday night sees people travelling here to enjoy the extensive range of restaurant, clubs & bars. We're usually entertained by carousers wandering home through the early hours. Friday late night/Saturday early hours were very quiet, just distant sirens & foxes barking.

London was still quiet on Saturday with people staying close to home, spending time with family & friends. We drove through Kings Cross & saw mostly camera crews, the tribute flowers were beginning to pile up on the concourse. We saw visitors wandering through the quiet Bloomsbury streets, maps in hand, making their way to the next stop on their itinery.

By Sunday, the local market & shops were full of shopppers gathering groceries on on a sunny summer's day. We could enjoy at a distance many of our neighbours chattering, music & BBQs throughout the evening.

The shock is beginning to receed & people are working out how to come to terms with the horror of the London bombing & the unease of the Birmingham evacuation.

Public transport returns to everyday schedules (save the sections where recovery operations continue).

We had the VE & VJ 60th anniversary celebrations throughout the week were initially overshadowed by Live8, G8, Olympics & then the bombing. By the weekend & the climax of the events, the stories of our elder's resiliance, stoicism & humour gave us all the leadership & personal example of fortitude & courage that we need.

Ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

No amount of Government message, PR, counselling, media articles could have said as much so clearly as the pictures of the congregation of the nation's grannies & grandpas to celebrate the end of war against fascism & a return to the freedom that many of us enjoy today.

Sadly, locally we still have missing one of my colleagues travelling to a meeting, & a young lady who worked at our local bank. The recovery teams are working in dreadful conditions underground. Again, ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London - usual Monday morning

There has been a police car on the first roundabout into Stansted since Friday morning. I might wander down to the terminal lunch time to see how different things are there.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London - usual Monday morning

It is amazing how the human spirit picks up and continues on, thank goodness for all those people working to clean up this mess, find those people who are missing and give us closure to this tragedy by finding those responsible.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London - usual Monday morning

I have never seen Stansted so busy as it is today. There must have been a good Ryan Air offer going.

The road up to the drop off/pick up point is guarded by 2 armed police and there are several police cars parked along there. Other than that, everyone appears very relaxed and calm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London - usual Monday morning

hope the idiot who left his bags in terminal 3 car park yesterday was impressed with themselves! Took e an hour to leave work as no one was allowed to leave the area and we all had to stay away from windows at one point, I think because they did a controlled explosion on it...whole area was at a standstill and took ages to get my husband in to pick me up and to get back out again.

Saturday morning I was waiting to be picked up and some guy said to me watch my trolley and walked off, I yelled after him errr no way get back and he just waved his hand, I started to look for a copper or traffic warden etc at what point he came back, I was so angry...despite constant reminders people are still not thinking!

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
274 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London - usual Monday morning

Thank you EmParr and all those locals who have been posting periodic reports. The TV news is so broad and it's the same thing over and over. It's inspiring to hear how you are all coping and carrying on with the everyday things. I think you are all extraordinary!

I wish there were more that I could do besides offer my prayers and good wishes, and again my thanks. I am with you in spirit.

"Never give in, never give in, never never never never!"

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London - usual Monday morning

Just back from a day in town (e.g central London).

It's busy, busy busy.

Hot & sticky.

Seems like it is business as usual.

Went via Kings Cross on the way there & back.

Traffic jams in that area, as the Tavistock/Russell Square

short cuts are closed off.

Police cordoning the road off as we approached.

People are sittting the traffic jams out.

Lots of sirens & police vehicles whizzing around.

People very calm about this, accepting that the 'boys' have to do what they have to do.

London humour rising to the fore - a police biker kept zipping round us with his siren whizzing, everyone reckoned he took the wrong turning & got lost (!).

Importantly, people wearing variety of ethinc clothing walking round town, including women on their own, relaxed & without apparent fear. We're all very calm.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London - usual Monday morning

pfk makes a very important point about bags etc.

If you are coming to the UK in the next few weeks please do make sure that you keep all your belongings with you whether that be at the airport or on tubes and buses.

My guess would be that there will be more security alerts such as the one in Birmingham and the one that briefly closed Whitehall this morning and we should all make an extra effort to ensure that we know where our stuff is at all times.

On a positive note, the schools group I am scheduled to look after tomorrow and Wednesday are still coming to town. They will be seeing two shows as well as riding on The Eye and eating at Planet Hollywood. I am sure they will have a great time.

detroit
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London - usual Monday morning

Emparr, Thanks for the updates.

I watched snippets of the VE and VJ anniversary on our nightly news. Very touching.

So sorry about your missing colleague and the young lady. Can't even imagine what their families must be going through.

Do kids get a summer break as we do over here in the U.S? My children got out in the second week of June and will go back in late August.

Take care.

us
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: London - usual Monday morning

Thanks to all for keeping us posted. I am thinking of all of you often. I'm glad things are getting back to as close to "normal" as they can. EmParr, my heart and prayers go out to those and their families who lost their lives or are still missing, and to the recovery worker. It sound as if all of the emergency services did and continue to do an outstanding job....Crystal

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London - usual Monday morning

Must echo Pink Fluffy Kitten's (what a handle, 10.4.) & Adam's point about leaving anything unattended.

It really is so important that you pay attention to your belongings. Apart from the matter of theft, anything left unattended is now treated as a security alert. This will also cover large bits of litter.

I'm sure that this will not apply to TALFers, but now is not a good time to be fresh with our charming 'boys & girls in blue' on the street or at the airports.

We are all very calm here, but also on full security alert.