We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip from London - Rye and Canterbury

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
507 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip from London - Rye and Canterbury

We've pretty much decided we would like to visit

Rye as a daytrip from London in June (hubby was there many years ago and loved it). Curious if we could

fit Canterbury in as well - I've been on the National Rail website but am not very good at figuring these things out. We are open to buses as well. Whatever works best. Thanks for any tips.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
507 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip from London - Rye and Canterbury

And one more question, a good recommendation for a

fun pub lunch - we prefer casual and atmospheric.

Thanks!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip from London - Rye and Canterbury

Rye is a day trip in itself from London, as is Canterbury. You would basically have time to see the train station of one before hightailing it to the other. (FYI, The journey from London to Rye takes 2 hours; the journey from Rye to Canterbury is an hour, with a change of train included, and Canterbury to London is between 90 mins and 2 hours, so you'd spend all day on the train if you were to attempt this).

I had a lovely meal at The George in Rye last autumn:

thegeorgeinrye.com/foodanddrink/index.html

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip from London - Rye and Canterbury

I would choose Rye, it's smaller and more compact and it's near the sea. It's also quite weird in standing on top of a tiny hill so interesting for that. You could have lunch at the Mermaid Inn, which is a Rye landmark. I haven't eaten there myself but there has been an inn there since 1100 and something, and the current one was rebuilt in about 1450.

4. Re: Daytrip from London - Rye and Canterbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 12:25