We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube Directions

Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tube Directions

I apologize if this is a difficult question, however:

I was looking for a way to get from Heathrow Terminals 1-2-3 to North Acton on the Central Line. I'm looking for the easiest, most pain-free way given that I will have some heavy luggage with me.

My plan was to use the Piccadilly line to Acton Town, change for the District line to Ealing Broadway and then take the Central Line to North Acton. However, I was informed that changing from the Piccadilly line to the District Line at Acton Town involves going over a pedestrian footbridge over tracks, and there is no operational lift, not a good idea for heavy luggage.

I am aware of Heathrow Connect with services to Ealing Broadway but I'm on a budget and am planning to use Travelcards which are not valid from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow anyway.

Would it be easier to go back further into the city and change at Earls Court for the District line to Notting Hill Gate and then to the Central line. My concern here is that being further into the city might mean more escalators and perhaps greater crowds.

I was wondering if anyone had any real experience with these interchanges. Which option would be the easiest for a traveler with plenty of luggage? (Aside from Heathrow Connect).

And one more direction advice request. Would I be correct in assuming that the easiest way from North Acton to Kings Cross St Pancras would be changing for the Circle line at Notting Hill Gate given it is a Sub Surface Line?

Many Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube Directions

The change at Notting Hill Gate from the District line to the westbound Central line is even less appealing than that at Acton Town.

There are 28 stairs down from the District line platform, but then a walk of 45m, another walk of about 25m, an escalator down, then a walk of 20m.

If you're willing to take a bit more time, you can catch the number 266 bus towards Brent Cross from stop H at Hammersmith. It will take about 45 minutes, and stops just across the road from North Acton station.

There is an escalator up from the Piccadilly line to the ticket hall and bus station at Hammersmith.

You know your tolerances for walking and stairs better than I, but I'd be very tempted to take the Tube to Hammersmith then the bus.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube Directions

It's worth knowing that in London if you stand at the top/bottom of stairs looking pitiful eventually someone will help you with your luggage.

But, having said that, the bus plan would likely be the most relaxing and cheap.

Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube Directions

I do like the bus idea, I've used London buses and indeed found them pleasing and relaxful.

However, I will be traveling with three other travelers similarly each carrying a large piece of luggage. I would be concerned about if there is enough space for the four of us, and seeing how the bus operating this route is a double-decker and not something like a Citaro, then I would think it might not fit all four of us, and not all four of us know necessarily where we're headed.

Thank you for informing be about the District to Central line change at Notting Hill Gate. I'm guessing that the District and Circle lines would use the same platform so it would be a similarly difficult walk. Now, I'd want to go to St Pancras International, again from North Acton.

I was planning to use the Circle line at Notting Hill Gate, but in light of this new information about the interchange, now I'm starting to consider changing at Oxford Circus for the Victoria line, or changing at Holborn for the Piccadilly line. Would any of these options prove more viable than changing for the Circle line at Notting Hill Gate from the Central Line?

Again, many thanks, the information has been helpful

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube Directions

If there are four of you travelling, would you consider a car service? It might be a bit pricier than the Underground, even if you plan to use Travelcards, but time is money and the aggro saved could be considerable.

www.london-transfers.com www.justairports.com www.simplyairports.co.uk and www.handicars.com are a few that have been tried and tested.

For the journey from North Acton to St Pancras, the change at Oxford Circus from Central line to Victoria line involves walking about 110m in total, plus 20 steps up from one platform to the other. It's also, as you probably know, a fairly busy station.

If you change at Holborn there are two sets of stairs, each about 20 steps up, plus walks of about 85m in total, plus a long escalator ride down.

One option - there are about 20 steps up plus an escalator up at Marble Arch - you may be best off taking the Central line there then hop in a taxi to St Pancras. Alternately, the number 30 bus towards Hackney Wick departs from stop M on Portman Street, and will stop at St Pancras. The number 30 starts its journey at Marble Arch, so you should be able to get on with your bags, but you will have a tight-ish fit in the stroller / pushchair area with them.

Tricky, but it could be done.

Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube Directions

Hmm, it looks like a rather difficult trip to St Pancras from North Acton by any means. I'm considering the Cab at Marble Arch or just struggle onto the Circle line, I suppose going through the really touristy areas further into London isn't an easy option.

I've got another direction question since you know a great deal about these interchanges.

I'll be returning to London some about two weeks after I leave out of St Pancras. That time, I'll be at a hotel just across from Finchley Road station. Easy, it looks like, a Met line train from St Pancras. Then, when I fly home, I'll need to get to Heathrow again from Finchley Road. I'm wondering if the interchange between the Jubilee and Piccadilly lines at Green Park is busy or a difficult interchange. I'm considering actually going on the Met line to Rayners Lane and then taking the Piccadilly line back down. Which option would be easier?

Many Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube Directions

If you do change at Notting Hill Gate, then be prepared for the potentiality of a wait. The Circle line is getting grumpy in its old age, and delays are not uncommon.

From St Pancras to Finchley Road, you'll need to walk over to King's Cross. I think, but am not entirely certain, that there is a lift from the ticket hall to the walk to the train platform. My fellow DE adamhornets uses the Met line often, and he should know this. He is at a TALF pub night tonight, but I will speak to him soon and ask him to address this question for you.

The journey by bus takes about an hour, according to the TfL Journey Planner, and needs two buses. A bit of a pain. However, there are 28 steps up from train platform to ticket hall at Finchley Road station, so be aware.

I find changing lines at Green Park a pain - long walks, stairs and escalators the order of the day, so it wouldn't be my choice.

If you want to get from Finchley Road to LHR, rather than go the (very) long way round, then hop on any of the numbers 13, 82 or 113 from stop FH at Finchley Road station. Alight at Baker Street - stop G (far side of the Marylebone Road) for the 13 and 113 or stop F (next to stop G - !) for the 82. Take the number 74 towards Putney from stop F - nice - to Hyde Park Corner.

The bus stops about 2m walk from a ramp - hurrah! - down to the ticket hall. From the ticket hall, there is an escalator down to the train platform.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

London
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube Directions

There is a lift at Kings Cross, but its from Street Level to Ticket Hall.

There is a route which has the least amount of stairs, but requires you to go back on yourself. Get the Metropolitian Line to Kings Cross, cross over the platform to the other platform, and take a Hammersmith & City line to Hammersmith. Exit here (end of the line) and cross a street to access the Piccadilly/District Line station, then its a small flight of stairs to the Piccadilly Line platform and then its all the way to Heathrow. Alternatively, if you dont want to go to Kings Cross and then go over the same journey back, you can change at Baker Street, but this requires you to go over the footbridge.

If I was making the journey myself, I would get the Metro' line to Baker Street, get the Hammersmith & City to Hammersmith and Piccadilly line from there. This is the quickest I think, I havent checked Journey Planner.

As for Heathrow to North Acton, Traveller Plus' advice is good, I'd stick to that, I'd normally do your original suggestion (as I once did in a sponsored event), but this journey does require you to climb the stairs at Acton Town.

London
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube Directions

Just had a quick look at the Journey Planner, and for step free journeys, you can take the 82 towards Victoria, alight at Hyde Park Corner and take the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow, it says this takes 90mins.

Hope this helps

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube Directions

The lift at KX has been out of service for ages, and given the size and strength of the gate blocking it off, it looks as if it's going to stay out of service for quite some time.

Shame, though, as it's one of the few central London stations with a lift in place.

Yet one more thing to add to Boris's to do list.

Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube Directions

Many thanks, indeed it helps, the route from Finchley Road to Hammersmith through the Met Line and the Hammersmith and City line does sound interesting.

I actually have another question about National Rail. I'll be getting a 7 day Zones 1-2 travel card. But one day, I'll need to go from London Waterloo to Weybridge Station on SWT. Could I expect any sort of discount with the travel card, can I just simply buy an extension to and from Weybridge on that one particular day?

And if I could just sort of tack this on. Would visiting Canary Wharf on a Sunday be a good idea given its not a work day?

Thanks again