We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

hi,

we just booked our flight tickets.. :)

we r a young couple, arriving at Edinburgh on 24th june afternoon. then we plan to reach manchester on saturday, 28th june; spend the night there, go to york on sunday.then we plan to reach london on either sunday night or monday morning (30th june). we fly out of london heathrow on 6th july afternoon. during that week, we plan to go to bath, cardiff, windsor and stratford-upon-avon besides covering the must do things in london (as this is my 1st visit).

now, questions :- ( I have posted different questions in diff forums, please forgive me if they sound repetitive to u guys )

what are the topmost attractions for someone who is visiting london for the first time, has already visited paris, madrid, barcelona , venice, rome, florence etc....

Also I think there’s a Tutankhamen exibit and wimbledon on during tht time. Can anyone detail me about these ?

shopping??? any info on sales/esp discounts will be great

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

The people who respond on this board are usually very helpful, but you've asked a very broad question and one that can't possibly be answered by someone who doesn't know your interests. I would suggest that if you don't want to invest in a guidebook on London that you at least take the time to look at some of the information that is posted online. Both Frommers and Fodors have lists of the top sights online and have suggested itineraries for 1, 2, 3 days, if you look over on the left side, there's a bunch of information on this website or you can do a search here for itinerary and see what some other folks have come up with.

Try this link for King Tut info

http://www.kingtut.org/home

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,090 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

It sounds to me as if you have 5 full days in London out of which you are planning trips to Bath, Cardiff and Stratford - each of which will take all day -and a good half day trip - Windsor. You will have a maximum of 2 full days, even assuming you allocate Windsor to your last day and go straight to the airport. You could possibly do Bath and Cardiff in one trip, but then you would have to stay overnight.

Are you really sure this is what you want? All you will be able to see is the outsides of various buildings.

Even if it is, you need to indicate what your interests are before anyone can advise you.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

Wimbledon tickets will have been sold out ages ago - unless you want to queue very early in the morning for the chance of day tickets, and I don't think your

packed itinerary will allow for that. You really are going to be spending so much time travelling.

Sales will be on - and could be good this year.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

What verity said - you are going to to London, but why? You'll be out of it more than you'll be in.

You are also trying to cram too much in, going from Edinburgh to Meanchester to York over a couple of days being another example, the ratio of travelling to beings somewhere and seeing things is very high. Fine if you like travelling for its own sake or just want to be able to say you've 'been somewhere' and are content for a 1 or 2 hour visit somewhere before you go off again.

For your later list Bath, Cardiff, and Stratford-Upon-Avon, you would do *far* better to travel directly between them, staying over night, rather than wasting a tremendous amount of time going back to London each night. You will probably regain two days of sightseeing, and one day for sure, by not going back to London between them.

For the foremost attractions, buy a guide book and see what you like, there is no generic list of things that everyone likes. I'd recommend the Eyewitness Great Britain guide book book.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Britain-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide/dp/1405320974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213083632&sr=8-1

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

hi

thx to all those who replied.

i already bought the lonely planet book - but its quiet generic imo.

we'll just hv to drop wimbledon then..next time maybe :)

what about king tut exibhit?

i'll check it wiht my hubby if we an spend a night at cardiff/bath/avon - thx fr tht tip

this compells me to ask another thing - we've already visited rome/pompeii/and basically most if italy. so, will visiting bath gimme some new experience???

gud to know tht it'll be sales time... but which markets shd we aim at for the best deals?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

The attraction of the LP books escapes me, endless pages of dense type. Checkout the Eyewitness guide, its maybe 50% photos, gives you a much clearer idea of what you'll see (or what you'll miss), for me at least it brings places to life, which 10x the number of paragraphs in an LP book can never do.

As to Bath, well generalising outrageously, it was built in the 1700s/1800's, the ancient sites in Italy were built in Roman times, so they are entirely different!

Akso, just to repeat myself, do not go back to London between those latter towns you mentioned (apart from Windsor which is an easy day trip from London), it really is a BIG waste of time and money - why pay London prices for a hotel PLUS the travel costs (for two people) PLUS lose about 6 hours of sightseeing (3 hours each way to all of those from London).

For shopping, Oxford Street and Regents Street in London are the two main shopping streets but plenty of shopping in all the other towns as well.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

The Roman spa is only a small feature of Bath - it's main attraction is that it is a very attractive town which used to be very fashionable in Georgian times and if you have read Jane Austen books/seen the films, you may find it interesting. Very busy, very crowded in the summer. Lovely countryside around.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

hi all, i'm back!!! got my visa today and so, hv started to plan the trip again :)

well, we leave in 3 days and gotta sort out the confusion of travelcard/londonpass/oyster card hehe. the upside is in london, we'll be staying with a cousin and so, it shdn't be much of a problem.

the only thing i want to check right now is which route shd we decide for sidetrip:-

option 1) go to cardiff, spend the night there and then come back to london after stopping at bath/stratford-upon-avon

option 2) go to stratfor upon avon and then on to bath and spend the night ther, next day we go to cardiff and then come back to london after spending a night there 9or shd we just come back from cardiff the same day)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

I don't think you can adequately see both Bath and Stratford upon Avon in one day, regardless of which option you choose. I would select one (I would select Bath) and just do Cardiff on one day, Bath or Straford upon Avon the other and spend the rest of your time in London.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary check- must do, shopping, tut exibit, wimbledon

thx kay... what about the route? lon-cardiff-bath(or stratford)-lon

or lon-bath(stratford)-cardiff-lon