We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

I've always been an overpacker. But all I ever did before was visit friends/family. So it was never really an issue that I had a 26" suitcase plus a carry-on. Luggage went from the airport, to the trunk of a car, to the inside of the house. My first "real" vacation-"backpacking thru Europe"- I had to really cut back-- One 20" rolling backpack. (Coming home, I still didn't need to check luggage. I had my backpack and a large tote was my "personal item".) I managed this by doing alot of handwashing & making sure all my clothes would coordinate. Plus it was cold, so I only had to be prepared for that- layered shirts, jeans/slacks, boots, hoodie, jacket(s), hat, scarves. But for this recent trip, I didn't go as severely stark. As I wasn't lugging my luggage all over Europe. Plus I wanted to be prepared for different weather.

So, for reference, this is what I brought for 8 days:

Shirts-

3 tank tops (plus 1 camisole tank)

2 short sleeves shirts

1 long sleeved shirt (to layer under the short sleeves in case it was chilly, turns out i didn't need it)

Bottoms-

1 pair of jeans

1 pair black slacks (for dressier look)

2 colorful knee length tiered skirts (which i didn't wear as i bought capri's while there--easier to walk for miles in! but i did breakdown and buy one long tiered skirt in paris)

Jackets/Outerwear/Layering-

denim jacket (for chillier nights)

fitted, black, cropped cardigan

black tie shrug (to add a li'l, stylish layer over the tanks, but didn't wear as i bought something else over there)

thin, black rain jacket (debated about taking-- and i should've left it at home)

Shoes- (bought all of these shoes specifically for my trip)

Clarks "Chow" clogs (to wear casually w/ jeans) Aerosoles "Aerology" heeled slides (dressier w/ jeans/slacks) Hush Puppy silver thongs

Birkenstock black thongs (ok, didn't really need to bring BOTH but they didn't take up much room. The Hush Puppies were the clear winner, wore everyday. Birks gave me blisters on the balls of my feet!?)

Undergarments & Accessories-

2 bras, 6 underpants

satin camisole nightgown (didn't take up any room at all & kept me cool at night)

2 belts & 2 scarves (to wear as hip sashes or around the neck)

1 hat (cowboy) -(sun was never out long enough to wear this, plus it just took up too much space in my carry-on backpack)

Extras-

Umbrella!!

travel alarm clock

pedometer

personal handheld fan (i get hot very easily)

sarong (very handy when lounging in the grass at hyde park)

collapsible black tote bag that zips up into its pocket

"shrinkwrap" bags

digital camera & charged up batteries (also brought 'regular' camera, but didn't use)

international mobile phone & charger

travel guides: london mapguide, AAA london guide, london pocketguide, paris pocketguide

a couple of pre-packaged utensils from 'fast food' restaurants I've collected (for picnics or such) & ziploc bags

Toiletries-

Besides the obvious toothbrush/paste, deodorant- I did have to bring specific shampoo/conditioners for my long, easily knotted hair. Febreeze, downey wrinkle releaser, laundry detergent & travel clothesline. Band-aids, lotion, hand sanitizer, pumice stone (for the heels of the feet) and few other necessities. Dove face clothes, Dove body wipes (on hot, long days) Eye cream/moisturizer, & minimal make-up. (everything was travel size, or small quantities were put in baggies)

I used packing cubes. 1 cube was intended for shirts, I instead put all my bottoms in this. The other smaller cube was intended for socks, but I managed to put my tops in it.

I will admit that heading home it was a feat to stuff everything back into my suitcase & backpack as I did ALOT of shopping in London. I definitely used that 'expandable zipper' on my luggage. whewww.

Ok, as far as my trip reports, I probably only have one left-- The final 2 1/2 days. Taking me long enough, eh?

Washington State...
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

That's a great list! You didn't go overboard at all. Very practicle, with lots of interchangeable stuff. I think scarves/sashes are so handy. I just bought two scarf/ponchos today, very lightweight, more for looks than for warmth - but they'll certainly spruce up an outfit, and weigh next to nothing.

Those Dove face cloths are awesome. I use the Ponds version, and that will probably be one of the toiletry items that I will pack straight from home, as I don't know how prevelent they are in the UK.

So how did you like those shrinkwrap bags? Did they save lots of room?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

Holly - for a second you reminded me of Rick Steves :)

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

I like your packing style, Holly.

I usually only travel with one pair of shoes two at most, they take up way too much shopping room.

I also use shampoo to do the laundry in the hotels, adn luckily many hotels now provide the shampoo so I don;t have to bring/buy, more room for shopping.

The Squeeze the Air Out bags are great especially for things that don't crease like fleeces and of course there's more room for ....shopping :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

I use the shampoo found in most hotel bathrooms also but just in case, I always pack one of them in my bag from the collection I have at home. As for detergent, I put some in a zip lock bag, takes up very little room.

In summer, I take 2 pairs of black capris, i pair black slacks, 1 longish black skirt, 1 pair of those comfy walking sandals, 1 pair of walking shoes (wear those for travel) and 1 pair dressier shoes plus 3 tanks, 3 cotton knit shirts, plus cotton sweater, some scarves etc to accesorize. I bring nothing but cotton as it breathes, that makes tons of difference! I also base everything around black.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

The 'shrinkwrap' bags helped fit my denim jacket in my luggage. That was the bulkiest item I brought and I was wishing I didn't have to bring it. But knew I couldn't go over there with only a thin knit cardigan.

I definitely love the Dove clothes. They're so sudsy, you can cut them into 1/2's and get more use out of them.

Yeah, for the last trip I only brought 2 shoes- my ankle boots that I walked everywhere in. And my heeled ankle boots for dressier times when I wasn't planning on walking too far.

But I only wore pants on that trip. So it was easier.

I definitely could've gotten away with only 3 shoes this time (instead of 4). The Aerosole heels were quite comfy. But they'd rub the side of my big toes if I walked too far in them (they were the shoes I wore on the plane & upon arriving in London, got lost outside of Paddington Station). The Clarks were very comfy. But I noticed after extended walking all day they also started rubbing the sides of my big toes. And I already mentioned the Birks gave me blisters on the bottom of the heels. Which I was surprised at. The Hush Puppies were so comfy & cushy. (They were slightly big on me though) I was a bit concerned about not taking any lace up shoes, but managed just fine. :-)

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

Good list! Was there anything, other than the hat and some of the shoes that you should have left at home? Was there anything you left at home that you really wished you'd had?

I like the shrink-wrap (we call them squishy) bags for bringing home the dirty laundry.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

Holly - great packing list! I was just wondering if the downy wrinkle releaser worked good?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

My son who is attending university in London said he didn't notice any women wearing capris. That may be because he doesn't really notice the middle-aged Mom types and what they're wearing. (I wonder why?) So, my question is, are capris common in the UK this time of year, or is that just another one of those "American" things? I live in capris and am hoping they aren't one of those taboo items.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

My son who is attending university in London said he didn't notice any women wearing capris. That may be because he doesn't really notice the middle-aged Mom types and what they're wearing. (I wonder why?) So, my question is, are capris common in the UK this time of year, or is that just another one of those "American" things? I live in capris and am hoping they aren't one of those taboo items.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: My Trip Report: The packing list for a 21" suitcase & a...

Lazy Daisy,

You didn't ask it of me, but I'll answer! Yes, the Downy wrinkle release does work. I've used it for a few years now. However, a little water does almost as good. The Downy smells nice and has a softening quality.

(Sorry about the double post - how does that happen?)