We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

Hey guys, another vote here - for the first timer who's seen none of the aforementioned places, which one would you choose?

Either - go with Astral Travels (or any tour company) that does 1 day tour of Oxford Uni (guided walk), then Warwick Castle and Stratford. Most reviews I've read here is that they're good.

OR

Go on your own to Cambridge?

I personally prefer the former. But I was discussing this trip with my parents and they were wondering if they can do Cambridge. They're not taking sides, meaning they're ok with Oxford too. Just wanted to run it by you folks as well.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

When do you need to know. I am going to all of the above the first 2 weeks in Sept. and can give you an opinion after that.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

Thanks, but I need to know by first week August as I'm in London the 3rd week Aug (after 2 weeks Scotland. I leave US on 10th Aug).

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

Personally I think Oxford has a lot more going for it than Cambridge so I would choose option one. Are you visiting Bath? That is well worth going to also.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

If it was a straight choice between Cambridge and Oxford, I would say Cambridge (not that I'm biased or anything. ahem). Seriously, I do think Cambridge is just a nicer city than Oxford.

But - much as it pains me! - I'm not sure Cambridge has quite enough to offer on its own to beat Oxford, Warwick Castle AND Stratford.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

Hi

If it was a straight choice between Oxford and Cambridge then that would be a very difficult choice (although I did used to live in Cambridge). In fact there would be no 'correct' answer - both are lovely places and I am sure you would have a great day whatever you chose. Cambridge is compact and you could easily manage to sort out a day without a guided tour.

But if you haven't seen any of these places (and I assume you have limited time) then I would go for the former. Have to say it sounds a very exhausting day but very exciting - so much to see and do.

Hope this helps.

M

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

London walks has a Cambridge explorer day if you want to visit Cambridge but not entirely on your own.

Oxford, Warwick and Stratford all in the same day sounds like it will give you a brief look at each (we spent at least 4 hours just at Warwick Castle) but I think I would probably do that over Cambridge, Warwick Castle is one of my favorite spots in England.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

So Vikram, you'll have to give me your opnions when you return since, you'll beat me to it. I was very much looking forward to a Sunday service at the King's College chapel in Cambridge and to hear the boy's choir, but found out there are no services scheduled when I'll be there. Rats!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

I've done both and they are both great. It just depends on what kind of day you want to have--touring on your own and wandering around Cambridge in a leisurely way, or a more structured day covering 3 places with an excellent guide.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

Thanks for your replies guys.

londongirl2005 - yes, I am giong to Bath. But that's before my parents show up. They're in London for exactly 7 days, and we've found ourselves enough stuff to do in London itself. We just planned on 2 "outside trips" of which this is one. And another is Hampton Palace and Kew (yep Anemone, I learnt now. Kew, not Kews <g>)

Vicki2005 and Morgana - you two pretty much reflected the same sentiment I got from a LOT of ppl. That Cambridge as a city is more complete than Oxford. And while they are both diff and both must-sees, btn O and C, C would be better. But in this case, there are no daily tours to C. And besides, this Astral Travels thing takes you to Stratford and Warwick as well. It apparently isn't that strenous as it seems, is what I was told. Sure, we won't have time to detailedly go over every place there. But seeing as we may not return to London in a LONG time, might see what we can in 1 day outside of London.

Devon
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxford+Stratford+Warwick Castle VERSUS Cambridge!

Im a Cambridge girl born and bred, has to be Cambridge!