We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the one thing?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What's the one thing?

What is the one thing that most sums up London to you, or (because I think that might be too difficult!) the one thing that you would choose to do if you knew you could never go to London again and you just had time to do one more thing before you left.

For me, it would be a walk along the South Bank of the river, from Tower Bridge to the Eye. You see so many things, from famous sights to quiet back streets, from modern spaces to historic nooks and crannies. I love it.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the one thing?

That's an intriguing question.

For me it would be a walk down Piccadilly from Hyde Park to Piccadilly Circus, then on down to Trafalgar Square then maybe on towards Parliament and Westminster Abbey and Westminster Bridge. That route has such a mix of quintessentially London shops (300 year old Fortnum and Mason, for one) and old structures mixed right in with new places and with people just doing their daily business.

Odd, when I think about it, that what I would most want to hold onto isn't a specific place or "must see" sight, but just the feel of life in the streets.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the one thing?

The view from Waterloo bridge

London
Level Contributor
287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the one thing?

Oooh, too hard to do properly, but possibly either watching Fulham beat Chelsea at the Cottage or a day getting slowly mashed with mates at Lords on the first day of an Ashes series followed by drinks and food somewhere back in North London proper.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the one thing?

If you get a train from south London/Kent to Charing Cross- after Waterloo Station you pass over Charing Cross railway bridge

Look out of the left window - you see the Thames - London Eye - Big Ben etc

It still gives me a thrill after all these years I would hate to see that view for the last time

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the one thing?

Good question!

Having always lived around the hills of south east London, the view into central London is really special to me. Just because it's "my view" I'd choose to soak up the view from Norwood Park or the top of Grange Lane, but the views from Greenwich Park or Primrose Hill would obviously rate as more spectacular.

London
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the one thing?

A boat trip from Greenwich to Westminster Pier would encapsulate everything great about London. You would see the New in Canary Wharf, the Old in Wapping, The City of London (Money) in the east and the City of Westminster (Power) in the West. The tranquility of the river coupled with the bustle of the city would be a great last day.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the one thing?

Although I love the view of the Houses of Parliament, and the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral, what I find myself doing before I return home is to go to Tower Hill at night and sit alone by the Thames. Tower Bridge looks so beautiful lit up and I always get a strange haunted sort of feeling being by the Tower alone at night.

And I've never come across anyone else doing this so I'm always completely alone. Spooky, yet calming at the same time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the one thing?

Pubs sum up London to me so mine would have to be do a final pub crawl.

So start at Ye Olde Mitre, Citte of York, The Seven Stars, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, The Old Bell and then ending up at the Blackfriar.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the one thing?

Have always been fascinated by the fact that you can walk through a medieval laneway on the Strand and find yourself in the midst of Temple, the barristers' chambers, ancient cobbled streets, green spaces and the Templar Church. Every time I go there, I get the feeling that I'm going back centuries in time.

Especially in the dark mid-winter, when there are lights blazing in the legal chambers and - despite the electronic era in which we live - you see counsel, solicitor and client huddled over a mass of paperwork in preparation for a legal joust at the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand the following day.

I also love the green and parklike feel of the Temple area and of the Victoria Embankment Gardens which are just adjacent to Temple at the Embankment tube station.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the one thing?

I love seeing the road sign.."Portsmouth " so i can get out of the smokey dirty city.