We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

Genoa
Level Contributor
72 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

Dear all, I have been told that in London there is an area with lots of shops selling everything for gardening. Do you have any information about?

Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

Well, there are garden centres all over the place, however I believe there are many nurseries (for plants) in the Crew's Hill area. You would need a car to get between them though, and I haven't been up there myself.

Regarding other garden centres, I know of one at Syon Park, one at Alexandra Palace, one near Camden Road train station - these are just the ones I know of. There's a very good though not cheap garden centre in Maida Vale, called Clifton Nurseries, see www.clifton.co.uk which has a branch in Eze on the French riviera, of all places!

There is also the Royal Horticultural Society www.rhs.org.uk which has several gardens, the most famous at Wisley which you can get to by 515 bus from Kingston on Thames. Wisley has a fantastic shop. Nearer London is the botanic garden at Kew, take the tube (district line) to Kew Gardens.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

Yes, Crews Hill, I go there. It basically a long road lined with garden centres. What are you after?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

There are lots of them all over London, and they are called "Garden Centres" NOT Centers. My own favourite is in west London at Syon Park stately home.

But if you go here and enter the information about where you will be staying you will find a large choice of garden centres near to you:

www.urbanpath.com/london/garden-centres/

However, if you were particularly interested in flowers, then "Columbia Road Flower Market" on Sunday mornings in east London should be visited.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

Hi, there's lots of "gardening" type shops in the Chelsea area. Because it's so close to where the huge Chelsea Flower Show is held every May shoppers flock to the area. There's a good one on, I believe, Sloan Street. Yes, contact the Royal Horticulture Society, they can probably direct you to several. Happy Gardening.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

If you have an interest in gardening, you might like to visit the Museum of Garden History. As well as the museum, they have their own garden and a small shop selling garden related gifts.

http://www.museumgardenhistory.org/

Genoa
Level Contributor
72 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

thanks to all of you - I think my friend meant something like Kew Gardens or similar... Is there any important garden/flower shows in London at the beginning of July?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

The Chelsea Flower Show has come and gone, but the large gardens are all at their peak now, v lush and green.

Kew is worth a visit, and there is a shop there selling implements and some plants. You may be interested in a wander through Chelsea Physic Gardens, which is quite a lovely oasis in the midst of the city. Take the 170 bus towards Roehampton from Victoria (the stop is on Buckingham Palace Road, stop R I think) and alight at Flood Street.

M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

How about the Hampton Court Flower Show? It's from 8th-13th July this year. You can check the details here......

http://www.rhs.org.uk/hamptoncourt/2008/

Not sure where you'll be staying but Hampton Court is easy to get to by train from Waterloo Station and Hampton Court Palace is always worth visiting anyway. Kew Gardens are hosting their summer evening concerts on those dates as well - if that's when you're in London you could go mad and do the Hampton Court show during the day then grab the ferry down the Thames to Kew in plenty of time for the outdoor concert in the evening and overdose on flowers and gardens! You'll need to book tickets in advance for any of the above.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

You might also enjoy Columbia Road Flower Market:

londontown.com/LondonInformation/…

10. Re: Is there an area in London dedicated to gardening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 02:18