We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Woman in Black

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
The Woman in Black

Has anyone here seen this play? Is it worth seeing?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Woman in Black

I thought it was worth seeing, it's been running for an awful long time so I imagine there are other people out there that think so as well.

I got discount tickets before I got to London so I didn't have to bother with the TKTS booth, take a look at www.lastminute.com and see if they have deals. The theater isn't that big and although they don't assign you a seat until you get to the theater my seat was perfectly fine.

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Woman in Black

I was looking at lastminute.com website and saw it there and seems to be a great play and the price seems reasonable. I think I will go see it. Thanks.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
396 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Woman in Black

I saw this play the last time I was in London with half-price tickets. It is a fascinating play that will hold your attention. It is cleverly staged and well acted. There was a group of teen-agers at the performance I attended and they seemed so taken in by the story and watched in silence throughout. And at appropriate times, there were gasps from the audience. It is a fun play, and you'll find yourself wanting to discuss it with others as you leave the theater. Enjoy it. And enjoy your trip. London is one fabulous city.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Woman in Black

It's a good a piece of theatre as any I have seen in London IMHO. So simple and yet so layered. I met some American girls who were seeing it for the third time and they were still surprised!

I'm sounding like a critic so I had better just say that if you don't get tickets in advance the TKTS booth in Leicester Square will almost certainly have half price trickets.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Woman in Black

I enjoyed it, but I can't really say it suprised me at any point. It was pretty much a classic, Victorian, supernatural thriller.

Its a good night out, but it is not worth the full price of the tickets (up to 33.50 GBP)--But you don't have to pay this! You can get 10 GBP tickets at lastminute.com for just about any performance. The half-price ticket booth at Leicester Square always has tickets available.

And the Fortune Theater is a nice little theatre as well.

[But I don't want to over-sell this show--It's no "Behind the Iron Mask." ;) ]

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Woman in Black

Last year my mother, my then 13 yr old daughter, & I went to see it. I decided to finally buy tickets after passing the marquee & photos outside the Fortune Theatre year after year.

I bought tickets thru LastMinute.com (they act as agents for the company that's actually selling the tickets.) I paid £16.25 p/ticket & the seats were preassigned (row F in the stalls.)

I enjoyed the show, my daughter enjoyed the show, Mom expected better (based on what I'm not sure.) Several days later Mom & daughter went to see Les Mis -- daughter loved it, Mom wanted to leave early. She preferred the version she'd seen on Broadway years before. There's just no pleasing some people.

My daughter & I would see it again if we could get comparably priced tickets.

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Woman in Black

Go and see it. I had read the book - I knew what was going to happen - I still nearly jumped out of my seat. Colleagues who have been to see it on my recommendation not only still talk to me but wven went back for more.