We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

I have searched the threads and still don't have quite the answer to my question.

I am NOT staying in a hotel this time, but rather various apartments in my 3 UK locations. I will have to provide my own hair dryer. The hair dryer I own is large and I would rather just purchase a small one in the UK. Can someone give me a price on a cheap one at, say, Boots? Not an exact price, but good ball park.

I also saw criticism of people using the term "flat iron" saying it is outdated and out of use. Well, not in the US--straightener is used but can also mean a chemical process; flat iron is certainly still used. I'm beginning to think I'll just leave mine at home . . .

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

boots.com/shop/…

boots.com/shop/…

www.superdrug.com/icat/bhairelectricals

I suspect Argos will have small electrical goods for sale as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,740 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

Boots currently have two hair dryers for under £10 (www.boots.com).

I've never heard of 'flat iron' being used in the UK to describe something used on hair. We have 'hair straighteners' - again Boots have something <£10.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

Bought a small, but powerful hairdryer yesterday at Asda for £3.97 and I've bought them before for similar prices from Tesco too. Last time I bought an iron it cost £4.99 at Tesco.

I think you can get them cheap at Argos too.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

Drat, hit Send too soon.

Argos shops are on a great many high streets, offering catalogue shopping with in-store pickup, for all sorts of househood goods. www.argos.co.uk for more info.

Marks & Spencer has a new collection of very small travel goods, and I'm not entirely sure but I think I saw a midgey wee hair dryer amongst the items on sale. I saw them at the Marble Arch store, near the health and beauty supplies on the first floor.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

I would also recommend a look at Asda and Tesco for these types of things.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

Oh, sorry, thought you meant an iron for clothes. Have no idea how much hair straighteners are, but I doubt they'd be that expensive in the chain supermarkets and Argos stores.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,740 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

> I also saw criticism of people using the term "flat iron" saying it is outdated and out of use. <

The 'criticism' is that when you use it, we assume you mean something else, as demonstrated by Trillian. The words and phrases you use back home aren't much use if they mean something else here. That's not a criticism, it's just a fact.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

If you go to Boots you should be able to get both items - I have an iron - a curler brush - a hair dryer - and a hair straigtener all from there and they are duel voltage so can be used anywhere in the world with the right plugs

all items around £10-£15 each

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

Argos has got around 50 (36 on line) different models of hair straighteners (flat irons) ranging in price from £4.95 to £74.00. You can also find the same number of hair driers, at the same store, for £3.47 to £50.00.

You will find Argos stores in most towns in Britain.

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchase use of hair dryer, flat iron

As usual, fantastic information! I did try and search the Boots site--but it will NOT let me search the UK side of it--even when I enter the exact web address. It takes me to the international site which only has the "British Aisle" products seen here at CVS and Target stores. It tells me I must be in the UK to access the other site--how does it know I'm not?!

And yes, jdbri, it was a criticism as specifically noted by the poster--neither of which was me. Of course, I would be happy to only use the term "straightener" or other appropriate local term had I been familiar with what those in London call it. Logistically, however, that is not possible; I don't live in London which is just the reason I'm on a travel website.

I will just wait and buy what I need when I get there--a Boots is just down the street from where I am staying! Thanks!