We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

I'm planning my itinerary for a somewhat alternative week in London, but my early mornings are looking somewhat blank. I'm a morning person and I feel like a huge chunk of the day has been wasted if I'm not doing anything till 10 or 11am, but nothing much opens till then. I don't want to shop as then I'd have to carry my purchases around for the whole day. I don't mind sitting around having coffee/late breakfast, but only if there's somewhere special to go. I'll be on my own, if that makes any difference, but I'm happy in my own company.

If the weather's good, I'll be using the time to take a stroll about, but if the weather's bad, I have no ideas what to do.

I'll be arriving at around 8am at Marylebone each day and then I have blanks until...

Tuesday - first thing planned is Bank of England museum. It opens at 10am.

Wednesday - first thing planned is watching an auction at Sotheby's. It starts at 11am.

Thursday - first thing planned is a London Walk, starting at Green Park at 10.30am.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

Daunt Books 83 Marylebone High Street opens M-Sat at 9 AM. It's a very good travel bookstore- very easy to spend an hour or two there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

The Cafe in the Crypt at St Martin's in the Field church opens for breakfast at 8 am Monday to Saturday.

…stmartin-in-the-fields.org/page/cafe/crypt/…

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,290 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

Churches may be open for early services and you may be able to do some covert sightseeing. Farm Street has an 8 am mass most days, see its website - it's the only church in London that has a Latin mass, I believe.

Some City churches may be open too.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

Southwark Cathedral is open from 8am - you could visit that before your Bank of England tour, and have a coffee at Monmouth by borough market. Then walk over London Bridge, laughing at the poor commuters on their way to work.

Sothebys apparantly has a nice cafe where you can have breakfast/brunch before the auction starts.

However I hope the weather improves, for everyone's sake - it's miserable right now!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

I was surprised just how interesting I found the Bank of England Museum - it was fascinating.

Be prepared for heavy security - bag scans and walking through a metal detector.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

bob007 - I know Daunt Books, very well. I definitely plan to pay a visit during my week, but not at the start of the day. I have not yet succeeded in leaving there with fewer than 6 books and I don't want to carry them all day <lol>

Thank you for all the other ideas, though - there are some really good ones there :) Especially the laughing at the commuters bit, as I'm one myself at the moment, but will no longer be by that point. Hooray!

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

jdbri - do you remember how long you spent in the BOE museum? I have to be at the London Metal Exchange at 12, and I'm wondering whether I'll want to be knocking on the door of the BOE museum at 10, or waiting till later to avoid the need to find something else to do between the two?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

You could spend well over an hour there - I have no problem wasting 2 hours there. Obviously, it depends on your interest in the subject matter, but it is a comprehensive museum. AND you get to lift a bullion gold bar!

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

That's great, I'll aim to be there soon after it opens, then. Thank you.

I'm not the kind to read every word in a museum, but I am interested and I'm definitely not one to have a quick scoot round and run off to the next thing, either.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do before 10 if the weather's not good

Has anyone mentioned street markets yet? They'll be open a long time before 10 but the days on which they are open vary. Real early birds can get some good bargains at some of them.

Tuesday - Bank of England - yes, watching everyone pour out of Bank underground station during the rush hour is amazing. By the way, the big building just opposite the Bank of England is the Royal Exchange and if you go inside there is a central coffee place after which you can look at the very high class shops that are there. And as you are in the area, you could also go to watch the dealing room at the London Metal Exchange (pure pandemonium). I think jdbri recently gave some advice about it.