We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
100 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

I've looked over the London Tube map and was hoping that somebody could suggest some towns that might be worth a visit that are accessible by the Tube.

I have no no knowledge (except for what I can glean from the Internet) of towns like Uxbridge, Chesham, High Barnet, Epping, and Upminster; all towns that are at the end of the Tube line. Does anyone have any favorites they can suggest?

Thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Richmond, on the end of one of the branches of the district line, is very nice. It's right by the river and has some great views and historic houses.

There's also Richmond Park where you can see deer roaming free.

http://www.visitrichmond.co.uk/richmond.asp

Essex
Level Contributor
27,142 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Epping, definitely worth a visit, you can get into Epping forest and see enough deer, wild cattle, and other 'native' life to rival Richmond any day!!

Upminster is an OK small place, but I can't think of any special reason to go there.

Richmond is very nice, and you can have a lovely walk along the banks of the Thames.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Mostly just the 'burbs. Epping is good if you want to see Epping Forest, although train to Chingford might be better.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Me and wife did go to Richmond about a year ago.

We did it first thing in the morning, wich ment all of the cute pubs were closed!

If you dont mind walking a few miles you can follow the river downstream to Isleworth and Brentford through Syon Park.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Don't bother with Barnet but take the Edgware (don't bother with Edgware or Mill Hill East either) branch on the Northern Line, and stop at Hampstead.

It's a lovely, historical village, with some great pubs and restaurants and surrounded by Hampstead Heath.

Kenwood House isn't far.

There are official guided walks if you fancy, or just wander.

You can search in Google for info or I can make suggestions if you want.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Richmond is a very good suggestion, also close to Richmond is Kew. You can walk between the two along the Thames and of course you can also visit Kew Gardens.

London
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

There is always Cockfosters at the end of the Piccadilly Line, which has Trent Park, a large natural park area, many great memories of there! There is always Heathrow, as there are some nice planes there!:-D At the end of Walthamstow Central on the Victoria line, you can access the famous Walthamstow Market, a good place for bargains on a Saturday! Also, on the Piccadilly Line, you can alight at Wood Green and get a local bus service to Alexandra Palace, nice place, fantastic views of London (you can see for miles!) There is also a big park and a good bar called The Phoenix.

Hope this is useful

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

It's perhaps worth mentioning this in case it opens your horizons.

If you are looking at towns on the tube lines because you've got tickets (or plan to get tickets) for the tube then fair enough.

However, if it just looks easy and it's caught your eye, it's worth mentioning that some of those towns at the end of the lines can take some time to get to on the tube.

If money and tickets are not an issue then you could travel overland for a similar amount of time (although ticket prices would be more expensive) and reach destinations that are much further (and perhaps nicer) to visit.

Examples:

Kings Cross - Richmond = 50mins

KC - Uxbridge = 53mins

KC - Epping = 55m

However, using "proper" trains:

London Bridge - Brighton = 58mins

Paddington - Oxford = 60mins

Might be worth a thought?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

Remove Uxbridge from your thoughts.

I have no wish to offend any Uxbridge residents but I'm sure they'd agree that pleasant though it might be, it holds nothing remotely of interest to a passing tourist, and has even less interest for a tourist making a specific visit from central London.

(Unless the famous Hillingdon Civic Centre building floats your boat...)

Kent
Level Contributor
104 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Towns at the End of the (Tube) Line

For a true Virginian you must want to visit the last resting place of Pocahontas! Come to Gravesend (also on the Thames) with lovely views across the river of Tilbury power station (lol) - we're not on the tube ('cos south of the river) but only 60mins form Charing Cross by main line train - have fun ????

G