We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

London, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

I made the mistake of over-inviting several friends to come to London with me - we'll be staying at a friends house with only one bed for 3 people. We're close, but not that close, so we need some type of temporary bed for the few nights we're there.

The question is, is there such thing as an Air Mattress rental? This sounds crazy I know, but there must be many people in the same position who only need a spare bed for a few rare occasions. Does anyone have any ideas where we can rent (hire) a spare bed of some kind?

I already had two thoughts; to ask my (host) friend to buy an Air Mattress and we would split the cost with her - that way we both win. The other thought was to buy something once we're there, perhaps at a camping store or equivalent, but this leaves us with a mattress we need to get rid of at the end of the weekend.

Thanks for your ideas.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,388 Reviews
from US$125.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,148 Reviews
from US$128.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
540 Reviews
from US$113.40*
London
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

I've never heard of anyone renting one before!

They really aren't that much to buy.

Ask your host to get down to Argos, she can always flog it on ebay afterwards......

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

Buy a new one, split the cost however you want.

Once used, flog on ebay.

Job done.

Ridiculous query.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

You can buy a double at Argos for £29.99 or a single for £24.99. Why don't the three of you split the cost and kindly leave it with your hostess when you leave?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

I'm with JBart on this one. If there was such a place to rent an air mattress, it would probably cost more than buying one at Argos. Just buy one and leave it with your host at the end of your stay.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

That would be my suggestion as well.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

The argos website is www.argos.co.uk

Enter the keyword airbed and see what comes up.

They have many stores in London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

The cheapest ones often don't have a pump, so make sure you buy a little foot pump too. An air mattress is always handy, and folds up small, so presumably your host could just keep it for another time, or for a camping trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

Sort of related, in today's New York Times: nytimes.com/2008/07/15/business/15sleep.html…

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

I'm assuming you mean the sort used for camping. I bought a few from Morrison's supermarket for 7.99gbp which come complete with nifty integral footpump.

Tesco's does something similar in single and double bed size with the separate footpump costing just a few pounds. Mine is flocked on one side and is extremely comfortable.

Never heard of bed rental, but they are so cheap to buy anyway.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Mattress Rental - I know it sounds strange...

I would be extremely put out if I was your friend and you asked me to split the cost of air mattresses for guests that YOU had invited to MY house! I think you and your +2 should purchase the mattresses yourself and leave them with your host for her future use. Not to mention a very nice hostess gift for putting up two extra uninvited people.