We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

I'm thinking of booking Easy Jet tickets from London Gatwick to Malaga in October. Is "hold luggage" what you check in and not carry-ons? It says you are allowed 1 hold luggage per person, but then do they charge for it?? I'm not sure what this means and if the 1 checked case is included with ticket price or extra charge. Can someone explain please?

Mentioned in this post
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Copthorne Hotel London...
1,783 Reviews
Copthorne, UK
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,392 Reviews
from US$124.90*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from US$112.70*
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Hold luggage is indeed luggage that you check in (lugage to go "in the hold") instead of carrying on with you into the cabin as "hand luggage".

I don't know EasyJet's particular pricing policy, but I do know that some of the low-cost carriers do charge for hold luggage, while others charge for extra bags over your allowance (usually just one bag). be aware that paying for an extra bag doesn't usually mean you are allowed to carry extra weight - just extra bags, within the same weight allowance.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,527 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Yes, 'hold luggage' is what you would call checked luggage. It goes in the aircraft hold once checked in. You will be charged separately for the checked in bag which is normally £5 online or £10 at check-in, each way.

Easyjet give you the price of the ticket, an option for travel insurance (remove if you already have this), charges for bags and finally taxes.

Annan, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Hey mimiccr

Yes "Hold Luggage" is indeed the bag or case you check-in and they will charge you extra for this - but its not much.

Carry on luggage is free and if you're only going for a short trip you could just use say a sports bag size holdall.... depends on yourself.

As I say its not a huge charge for hold luggage and most if not all of the budget airlines also do this charging system - its to give you a choice (allegedly).

If you are going easyjet I'd advise you to also use their "Speedy Boarding" if you can!! Again is another charge but seats are not assigned on these flights and its a first come/first served basis... with speedy boarding you have your own check in desk at most airports (believe me the queue at Easyjet desks can be HORRENDOUS!!) you also get on the plane first and have your pick of the seats :-) well worth the extra £5-£10 in my opinion!!!!

Anyway, good luck!! I'm just back from Malaga..... bliss!!! :-)

Katt xxx

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Hi Mimi

The cost of your hold baggage is £5 for 20kg. and hand luggage is free. Your hand luggage can be Size: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and there is no weight limit as long as you can easily lift it into the overhead luggage rack.

Speedy boarding is £4.00 but in my experience this is not necessary. If you are at the desk when it opens, you will get an A boarding code (unless you have children when you get a priority). If anyone with a B or C tries to board in front of you they are sent to the back to wait their turn. This has happened on at least 2 of the trips that I have flown with them - very impressed.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Also at some airports, Speedy Boarding" only gets you on the bus first. You will then have to charge from the bus to the plane. I don't bother with any priority boarding now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Quite so, Mr C. I recently flew to Granada with one of the low cost airlines. At teh gate, it became clear that soemthing over half of the passengers had paid for "priority boarding", so they all stood up and queued in the priority lane while I lounged around on a seat. I was about the last person through the gate, and ambled onto a bus full of hot, animated passgeners.

Last on the bus, so first off it, first up the rear stairs, and my pick of the seats :)

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,077 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

And just to clarify, although it clearly states this on the website, you are allowd 20kg total checked in baggage allowance even if you have paid for more than one bag this does not entitle you to any more actual hold baggage allowance above that 20kg.

I say this due to some recent posts compaining about having to pay excess baggage.

Oh and don't bother with speedy boarding its a waste of money. From Memory in Malaga you have to walk on the apron to get to the plane or be bussed, normally there is no airbridge. And if you are travelling alone then there is absolutely no point. you will always get a seat on the plane.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
london
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

"half of the passengers had paid for "priority boarding","

Actually only the first 30 people who choose priority boarding can get it. Even when i have been bused speedy boarding passengers were let off first or only speedy passengers got on the bus to start with, the others followed after.

I think its worth it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,077 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

From the Easyjet website

1Price dependent on the route. Where passengers are bussed to the plane, we cannot guarantee that Speedy Boarders will be first off the bus. Where bussing is frequent on a route, this is reflected in the Speedy Boarding price you pay.

So in effect its a lottery.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is "hold luggage" on Easy Jet?

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I was researching this for a friend who is flying United into LHR and wanting to get to Malaga. With all the add-on charges for baggage and taxes, etc. he decided to stay with British Air out of LHR instead of transferring to Gatwick, Luton, or Stansted for cheaper airline. It actually worked out about the same, unless we're missing something. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Stansted Airport
Stansted Airport