We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Heathrow to Colchester

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
501 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
London Heathrow to Colchester

We (a family of three) will be arriving Heathrow Terminal 3 and have to go to Colchester (near Univ. Essex)in Sept. We will have atleast five pieces of suitcases. What are the options available for us to travel from Lon Heathrow to Colcheter town? Are there any direct bus/coach/train services from the airport or do we need to change at some mid point?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,311 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

I am not local so possibly someone else will have a better idea but public transport wise the national rail site indicates that you take the underground from the airport to Paddinton and then chenge to the circle or Hammersmith & City line to get to Liverpool Street station where you get a connecting train to Colchester.

There is a bus option with National Express coaches but this would seem to take a lot longer and involve an hours wait for a coach in Victoria coach station.

To be honest with three of you and five cases both these options might be a little arduous so might I suggest another one.

Alamo car rental do an airport special where you can hire a car at LHR and drop it off at another location, i.e. Colchester. Its not too bad a price and would probably be the quickest option to get to your destination as long as you are not travelling in peak times.

You can also keep the car for 24 hours, I think it should be around 60 pounds for a reasonable sized car plus fuel (probably less than 20 pounds) which is comparable to the cost of public transport fares for three anyway.

Good luck.

Ron

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

I'd second Ronaldo's suggestion of hiring a car. It's not the easiest journey by public transport.

Another route would be Underground/Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Holborn, change on to the Central Line to Liverpool Street then mainline train to Colchester Town and taxi to Wivenhoe for the University. Takes about 2.5 hours at a guess. Driving will take just as long and you will need to negotiate Europe's biggest car park, the M25!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
501 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

Thanks very much for the quick replies. Looks like hiring a taxi seems to be the best option. Since we will be staying for about three nights in Colchster without much local travel, I would prefer a drop off taxi (not self driven) from the airport to Colchster. Are there any taxi companies that povide this service?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

I would guess a taxi would be around 150 GBP from Heathrow to Cochester, pre-booked.

The most cost effective option as said above is Underground to Liverpool Street, then train to Colchester.

If the idea of dragging luggage through the Underground system doesn't appeal you could take the National Express bus between Heathrow and Stansted, from where First Bus runs a regular airport shuttle to Colchester.

National Express have a theoritical luggage allowance of 2 cases per person plus hand luggage, neither of the cases should weigh > 20 kg.

The Coach Station at Stansted and Heathrow are dedicated/purpose built affairs with facilities.

Really a compromise as ever between cost and convenience.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

Take a car service from Heathrow to Liverpool Street, then train to Colchester - probably work out about the same as coach to STN etc

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

Take the direct National Express coach service from Heathrow to Colchester. The coach will have plenty of capacity to take all of your luggage and more.

The journey time is just over 4 hours, going through central London: the price of a single ticket is about £15 (i.e. £45 in for all three of you).

Why not go to the National Express website

H:\Settings\Profile\Desktop\National Express coaches.htm

and enter your day of travel to see what the exact cost is.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

The correct address is:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

"Take the direct National Express coach service from Heathrow to Colchester"

I don't think there is such a service

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

Doh, it seems that handfordr is correct. You change coaches at Victoria Station. Still worth considering though.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
501 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Heathrow to Colchester

Thanks very much everyone for the useful information. I am looking at the options.