We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about connecting flights

Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Worried about connecting flights

Need some advice.

doing a 15 day of Europe and have extended our trip 1 extra day in Paris. For that reason, we've booked a 1-way ticket from Paris-London (w/Brit Air) in order to catch our flight from London-Canada (Air Canada).

Here is my dilemma, we're getting into Heathrow at 10am (terminal 4), and we need to catch our 2nd. flight which leaves at 12:30 (different carrier). Therefore, we need to check-ou, collect luggage, clear custom, re-check with other carrier, etc... Is this feasible?

I am seriously considering buying an earlier ticket (ours are non-refundable, and cannot be changed) in order to give us adequate time.

What is everyone's experience at Heathrow.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about connecting flights

what terminal does the london - canada flight leave from? air canada's terminal 3, isn't it?

i'll be honest, i don't think you'll make it. even if your flight arrives absolutely on time - which is by no means guaranteed - it's usually quite a walk at heathrow from the plane to baggage reclaim and customs (although i've never landed at terminal 4 so i'm not sure what it's like).

unless your flight then departs from terminal 4, you've got to get a decent distance to get to any one of the other 3 terminals, which involves getting on the heathrow express to "heathrow central" (free) - it's not bad, trains are every 15 minutes and it doesn't take long, but it's then a little bit of a way to get back to the actual terminal buildings from the station, and i presume you're meant to check in for your flight to canada 2 hours before?

you might make it if everything runs smoothly but there's absolutely no guarantee of that, and heathrow's a big airport....

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about connecting flights

there seems to be a bit of a myth going on about different airlines not checking through luggage and indeed some airlines are being very choosy about it at the moment but to be honest this is what the interline facility on every airlines check in screen is for, this is what the add interline tag option on a customers booking is for.

seeing as you are not entering the uk as such and only transfering through it technically you should be able to through check bags, hence this is what the flight connections centre is all about.

I often through check bags from the usa to india or from india to the caribbean etc and so on and all on different airlines.

hopefully you will be able to through check from your first destination...least we were taught to ask a passengers final destination and even if it isnt all on one ticket we see the 2nd and add the airline, flight number etc and it all comes up tagged and ready.....so your tags should read LHR with BA and flight number then also your canadian destination and the flight number.

read this it may be helpful

http://www.uk-air.net/LHRTransfer.htm

unfortunately one of the airlines being very rude about through checking is BA...and this seems to be worse with any airline in star alliance (or which is hoping to be) which air canada is.

I would when you check in with BA at paris show them your onward ticket with air canada and ask for the bags to be checked through then all you have to do is go via flight connections which means no baggage or customs as such so time wise you should be fine.

as a rule you only have to clear customs at the first port of entry to a country so seeing as you arent entering the country just transet through it you should be ok.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about connecting flights

What if you do miss it and show up at air canada? Won't they put you on stand by for another flight.

I missed my connection for Delta once and they simply put me on the next flight.

Did you book online? If you did, for a fee you can probably change the time. I had to change the flight once on expedia for $60 If not, call and see what they say.

But you really need to do what you will be comfortable with. It is not worth it to stress while you are on your trip!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about connecting flights

It would appear that Air Canada flights leave from Terminal 3 (you will need to check this).

You need to get from Terminal 4 to 3. The only way to do this is by Heathrow Express. This is free for terminal transfers.

Collect luggage, clear customs = 30-60 minutes

Transfer between terminals = 20 minutes (15 minutes between trains)

So in a worst case (excluding incoming flight delays) 90 minutes to land and get to the check-in desk still leaves you an hour before take off.

Best case 40 minutes which will leave you 2 hours.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about connecting flights

If you can get your bags tagged to your final destination, you will then be able to use the Flight Connections Centre at Heathrow which will save you time as you change terminals by airside transfer buses, so you should then make your connection . Guess it all depends on BA through tagging your bags from Paris to Canada!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about connecting flights

BA and AC don't code share, so you could contact BA and ask them if they do through tagging, If you email them you will have a paper trail if something goes wrong.

If you do get tagged through then you don't have to clear immigration or pick up luggage, you just go to the transit lounge which is clearly marked.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about connecting flights

PS, the time to work from is the time the gate closes, it should be on your ticket.

Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about connecting flights

Thanks to everyone about their input. Gonna talk it over with my travelling companion and see what she says.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about connecting flights

airlines dont have to code share to through check.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about connecting flights

I thought the only way of checking my bags straight through to say Canada was to go with BA, Jersey-Gatwick-Gatwick-Toronto?

So if I flew with Ba or Flybe from Jersy to Gatwick, then Air Canada from Gatwick to Toronto I could check my bags right through from Jersey??? hmmm