We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

white trainers

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Topic
white trainers

We've just come back from London. Had a great time! I promised myself that I would post this as soon as I got home because of all the stress I had about what to pack for my vacation.

I definitely didn't pack white trainers (even tho they are my most comfortable, worn-in and supportive shoe). I bought myself 2 expensive pairs of black walking shoes. I wore them to work for weeks to break them in before our trip. Guess what I saw all over the street of London? White trainers! Of course, they had to be tourists! For the first couple of days, I'd sidle up to these people in order to hear them talking to each other... many were British!! My expensive walking shoes gave me blisters that I'm still recovering from. I really wish I had brought my white trainers. I would have fit right in and been comfortable!

Also it was very hot, especially in Paris where we went after London. Many, many people in shorts.

What I will agree with is that no one wears sweat pants or hoodies.

I was surprised that very few people dressed for the theatre. We saw shorts and jeans there.

My best advice to the 'what to pack' question is to wear what you would wear to walk around a city at home. You WILL fit in! I'm hope I'm saving someone the stess I felt leading up to the trip. There was absolutely no need for it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: white trainers

LOL nice one. As I said in a message yesterday, if you want to fit in, dress like a tourist, because thats who most people in London seem to be at the moment! Alternatively, wear a business suit and carry a laptop type bag :-)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: white trainers

I live in London and own both sweat pants and white trainers !!

no need to worry about clothes in London - you will never be under or overdressed in most places "anything goes "

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: white trainers

Since you went during the Summer it was only natural to see plenty of people wearing white trainers.

I doubt if you'll see many Londoners wearing white tennis shoes in January though!

Besides, I don't think it's either black-walking-shoes-which-give-you-blisters or huge-white-trainers. You can find a wide choice of stylish trainers in any shoe shop that respects taste and fashion!

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: white trainers

Negotiating my way round Westminster Whitehall today, it was quite easy to tell who's who - anyone standing in the middle of the pavement staring at Big Ben = tourist. Everyone else walking purposefully, weaving round the people staring at Big Ben = local. Colour of trainers largely irrelevant to that analysis :)

The HO-HO bus staff must be accustomed to tourists trying to integrate however, as they were insistantly thrusting a leaflet at me, despite wearing business attire and carrying a laptop!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: white trainers

"The HO-HO bus staff must be accustomed to tourists trying to integrate however, as they were insistantly thrusting a leaflet at me, despite wearing business attire and carrying a laptop!"

:-)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: white trainers

Don't the locals ever stop to admire sites like the Big Ben, Parliament etc?

I always stop for a second and admire the Acropolis, even if I see it at least once a week!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: white trainers

On my way out of the City I always drive back along the Embankment and admire the great architecture of the Houses of Parliament and 'Big Ben'. Especially if I'm first in the queue at the traffic lights by Westminster Bridge :).

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: white trainers

"on't the locals ever stop to admire sites"

Definitely, sometimes I walk past St Pauls going to work, but if I stop to look I make sure to put on my Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts, white socks and black sandals first, so I don't stand out.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: white trainers

I am amused by the idea of tourists preparing to visit London worrying about a dress code. Wear whatever you like. White trainers, sweat pants, hoodies are all common.

Why, on holiday, do people dress like they never would at home? One spots tourists wearing the most bizarre outfits, with very odd bags (shell suit + bum bag in particular). This marks you right out as a tourist, and one can assume that all your worldly valuables are stored in that strange, uncomfortable looking bag tied around your waist.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
484 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: white trainers

My packing plan is geared more towards weather appropriate than worrying about my fashion style. I am taking what I have, just adding some "layering" type clothing...(I do not think layering 3 tank tops is going to do me any good in October..time to invest in some long sleve shirts).

I definatly will be taking my tennis shoes (Trainers), and my hoodies (all three of them). I think no matter what I wear as soon as I open my mouth I will be a dead give away..not that I care.

My Husband is definatly wearing his Mariners Ballcap..bald is beautiful, but not when it is sunburned.

BTW: the only people I see wearing fanny packs are older people..like my mom, it looks cute with her visor!