We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do while friend rides London Eye

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
261 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What to do while friend rides London Eye

My friend and I are only spending a few days in London. I've never been before. She wants to go on the London Eye but I'm not interested. What is there in the immediate area for me to do while she waits in line and rides? I don't know what time of day it will be.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

Whitehall, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral, Cabinet War Rooms & Churchill Museum, Horseguards Parade, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Downing Street - and it isn't too far to Buckingham Palace

st. louis
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

Walk across Westminster bridge, see Big Ben, Parliament and Westminster Abbey.

Then stop in at Westminster Arms for a pint or two.

Philly
Level Contributor
261 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize you could walk across the bridge.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

London eye webcam:

www.camvista.com/england/london/bale.php3

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

Assuming she'll also want to do a lot of the main tourist sites which are nearby, I think I would just award myself a little chill out time - ie head for the All Bar One (large wine bar) very nearby and catch up on postcard writing. Or, if the weather is amenable, the Terrace Cafe with wonderful views.

Alternatively, there are other attractions in the County Hall building adjacent to the London Eye which may appeal to while away some time on your own:

http://www.themovieum.com/

http://www.londonaquarium.co.uk/

http://www.countyhallgallery.com/ (Note: I'm a big Dali fan, and found the exhibition a bit overpriced for what it is).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

Don't go too far, if she books ahead, there won't be any waiting in line and the "ride" itself is only 1/2 hour at best.

Just do a little walkabout in the vicinity.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

Depending on the day and how crowded it is, you may not have to wait too long for her. Once she steps in the capsule, it's only a 30 minute ride. It might be best to stay in the immediate area and then have a specific time/place to meet up. And if you can track your friend from the ground, it would be fun to get pictures of her on the Eye as a souvenir.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

Pete: We must've been typing at the same time! : )

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

In the half hour she's on the eye you might just manage to frame a few great photos of London icons, assuming that you take a camera that is.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do while friend rides London Eye

I'd just go on it with her as you are talking about an hour, maybe only 30 minutes. Otherwise walk across the river and back ..but she may want to do that when she finishes anyway.