We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip to Watford

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A day trip to Watford

In August, I will be spending 5 days in London, one of which will be used for a day trip to Watford. As my partner is a huge Watford fan, the main purpose of the trip is of course seeing a match, but is there anything else of interest?

We were there two years ago, and from what we saw, we thought it was a rather nice place. But we didn't see much more than the main street, Harlequin Shopping Centre and Vicarage Road. So this time, as we will be going there anyway, I would appreciate any tips for things to see, a nice place for lunch, or anything else you can think of.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip to Watford

well its fairly ok for shopping I think. I havent been for years but my brother lives in high wycombe and often goes there.

I believe our expert adamhornets hails from there...i am sure thats what it says under his name....go for a cuppa!!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip to Watford

A post about my home town at last!!

Short of offering you a coffee at my place I will be honest and say that you saw pretty much all of interest in Watford. It's my town and I love it but it's not a tourist hot spot.

If you arrived early in the day at Watford Junction rather than Watford tube station you could catch the local train to St Albans and have a quick look around the Abbey.

We do have a decent local town museum towards the bottom of the high street and some of the pubs around the Junction such as The Nascot Arms and The Southern Cross do good beer and nice food. If the weather is nice then a stroll in Cassiobury Park and a walk down towards the canal is very pleasant.

Which game are you coming to? I'm a season ticket holder but am missing the first game on the 6th due to a family commitment (Grrrr...!) If it's later in the month you are welcome to join me for a pre match drink.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip to Watford

St Mary's Church and surrounding 'town square' in front of Marks & Spencer are great for rest stops. Grab a takeaway coffee at Caffe Nero and people watch. Watford Field Business Park at the Lower High Street (past Watford's answer to the Louvre Pyramid) also has some rather fine chain stores. Borders bookshop is a particular favourite.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip to Watford

Thanks to all for responding!

Adam:

We will be in Watford August 27th for the Reading match. I showed your answer to my partner, and he was very excited at the possibility to discuss the Hornets with a "native" Watford supporter. So if you are up for it, we'd love to meet you for a pre match drink!

As for your St Albans suggestion, I looked it up, and it really seemed like a nice place, but this time I think we will go for a more relaxing day in Watford (But we'll definetely keep it in mind for our next trip to Watford!). A bit of walking, shopping, nice food and drinks, and GlobalGeezer's idea of people watching is more what we had in mind, as this will be the last of 12 days of touring Britain.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip to Watford

Herna,

I will be around for that game although maybe not until later in the afternoon. Are you aware that the game kicks off at 5.15pm as it's live on Sky TV?

If you e-mail me at adamhornets@yahoo.com we can arrange to meet.

Watford, England
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip to Watford

We've got an excellent, large park (Cassiobury Park), right next to the underground station. It's got a river and a canal running through it and you'll see traditional long barges (a type of boat) on the canal. I'm not sure whether trips can still be taken on one of these - Adam, is Arcturus still going? The park runs into a large wood, which if take a 3km walk in the right direction will bring you to a nice country pub, the Clarendon Arms.

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A day trip to Watford

Go to Druckers Viennese patisserie on the upper mall of the Harlequin Centre if you want to while away a pleasant hour or so. It is probably the most distinctive cafe in the whole of Watford (they have faux Jack Vettriano paintings on the wall) and they always have plenty of space in there. Good value too.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A day trip to Watford

This thread is nearly 4 years old ...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day trip to Watford

I vote for cassiobury park as well with a walk along the canal..being nosey looking into the barges tied up along the path(we don't have them here in BC!.. ..my dad took me to the park on my trip 5 yrs ago..i was born in Watford..it was a trip called "this is your life" !!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day trip to Watford

oops...didn't even realize the date ...LOL! I wonder what she did?!