We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which sightseeing bus tour?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which sightseeing bus tour?

Whilst I am a Londoner I've never used one of these tours and want to know which one is best value for money as I have friends coming in who want to take one!

Thanks

Paradise Valley...
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

Hi RV

I assume you are talking about the Hop on Hop Off Buses, right?

Well, my only experience is with the Original Bus Tour (yellow line-live guide) and I think it is really good. But other people seem to like the Big Bus Tours. But I can't really say which one is the best as I have not been on both.

Both of them include a Thames cruise and one london walk... So unless someone here has done both and can make a definite recommendation, I'm afraid the choice is yours...or better yet give your friends these websites and let them choose:

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/default.aspx

PV

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

i have tried the big bus with my Ameriacn guest and we had nice time .

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

oops i meant American .

kingston,on
Level Contributor
73 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

We also did the Original Bus tour, just last week. The yellow line is the only one with live commentary, the fellow who did ours was terrific! The next day we did a walking tour in the morning (included in the price) and it was the same fellow. He took us to St James Square, St James Palace to see the band preparing to walk down the mall to Buckingham Palace. We walked alongside them as they piped and drummed their way to the Palace. Priceless! We then made our way to the gate at the Palace where another group of soldiers came marching and playing music towards the Palace. We saw the changing of the guard from a distance. We took the red line tour as well. I would recommend this bus tour.

California
Level Contributor
96 posts
568 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

We also did the Original Tour Bus. The reason was that the walking tour for OTB starts at 10:30 instead of 10:00 for Big Bus, which we already knew we won't make it. The walking tour was worth it alone. The guide knew excatly where we should be at what time to see everything that activity was going on around Buckingham Palace so we didn't just wait at one spot for the changing of the guards. We had to do a lot of walking (or running, I should say) around trying to catch up with him. By the way, we got a little discount when we purchased the tickets at the bus stop. Instead of 22 GBP pp, we paid 20GBP because I just jokingly asked the lady "Is there any discounts for the 3 of us?" She said, "OK, 20 pounds per person." Also, remember to get your 3 pounds ticket for the Fish and Chips at the OTB office in Trafalgar Square (where you gather for the walking tour.) The ticket is good for a fish and chips plate from Sherlock HOlms Pub nearby that's worth around 7 pounds, that's half off! You just get the ticket and hand it to the lady when ordering food at the pub. They also have the 3 pounds ticket for afternoon tea at the St. Martin on the Fields (I think that's what it's called). The cafe is at the basement of the church, maybe a little hard to find because of the construction around the church. Well worth it for the price. It's a plate with scone and cakes, and you can have either coffe or tea with it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

We took The Original Tour in April. I really liked having a live guide on the yellow line. It was a little cheaper than the Big Bus tour, too.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

And once you're in the Sherlock Holmes pub (which is a good one) you can collect a discount for entry to Benjamin Franklin's old house just around the corner (I think it's half price).

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which sightseeing bus tour?

thanks to all!!

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,463 posts