We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

in a never ending effort to choose the best, most economical way to travel around london on the tube/buses, i was on the tfl.gov.uk website this morning to gain some clarity. it didn't happen.

the 7 day travelcard and the oystercard that is valid for 7 days are the same price. are they also the same card? i was more interested in the travelcard so i could use it with 2-for-1 offers. if i drop by a tube station to buy a 7-day travelcard am i going to get one that allows me to participate in 2-for-1 offers?

many thanks for the help and i apologize if this is repetitive; i realize there have been a lot of posts lately about travelcards and oystercards.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

Yes they both give the same amount of travel for the same money.

Paper TCs are the only ones to get you the 241 offers. These are only available at railway stations ie Paddington, Victoria etc. not at underground stations.

UK
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

No wonder many others like me read Mr C's contribution so diligently.he gets down to the point immediately.other threads we have pages of paras with the ultimate result after many permutations a saving price of cup coffee

regmaiche

kingston,on
Level Contributor
73 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

We purchased our travelcard before leaving Canada from Rail Europe. I don't know if it was the cheapest way but it was easy. We received the card before we left home and it was simple to use once there. While we were in London I saw a newspaper heading that read that the Oyster system had crashed again. I don't know any more than that but was glad that we had the travelcard! It was effortless to use.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

Gerlis/Regmaiche, in what way does your post answer the question posed by purplekitty717?

If you have nothing useful to add to threads, perhaps you would refrain from posting.

USA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

Probably mentioned on other threads, but anyway: For the Oyster Card, you have to pay a £3 deposit when you get it (you can get it back when you leave). The paper card is nice, but it's faster to use the oyster card (you just tap it on the top of the reader). And, if you're like me, the paper travelcard will quickly get crumpled in your pocket and is more easily lost!

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

I agree that the paper card can get dog-eared quite quickly but the difference in tapping in the Oyster card and putting the paper card through the reader can only be measured in microseconds - not really enough to make a difference, IMHO.

7. Re: 7 day travelcard v. oystercard -- the same thing???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 09:22