We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

Wondering if someone can help me figure out our seat layout.

We're booked on a National Express train from Edinburgh to London. Our seats are in Coach D, Seats 03A, 04A, 05A, and 06A. Are these all one behind the other ie 4 aisle seats in a row? Or some other configuration?

My husband and I are travelling with our 2 sons so we'd prefer 2 pairs of side by side seats. If the seats we have are not as we hope, is it likely that we'll be able to change on the train? Or at the station prior to departure?

We don't have trains in Newfoundland anymore so we are complete novices when it comes to train travel...hope someone with more experience with trains can help :-)

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

Actually, JDBri, all my tickets have been designated 'A' whether facing or back, airline or not, table or not, first or standard.

For the person wishing to reserve a table in Standard, I'd say 'don't' as the leg and knee room is almost non existent.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

Many thanks for all your responses, which have been very reassuring. We have already booked our tickets so unfortunately table or not, we are stuck with the seats, unless NXEC actually reshuffles us on the date of departure!

B

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

Actually if you created an account on their website and you opted to pick up your tickets at the station (rather than having them mailed to you), I believe you can login and edit your seat preferences and get new seat assignments for that journey. FYI.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

I just wanted to confirm the seating plan for futur reference for other viewers of this post.

I travelled with National Express East Coast last weekend London/Edinburgh - Edinburgh/London(11th April 2009).

So how's the lay out? On the left side of the carriage there are single seats, some facing each other, some for single passengers. On the right side of the carriage there are 2 sets of 2 seats facing each other (so 4 seats around a table). All seats on the train have a table, equiped with a power socket for mobile phones and computers, sachets of sugar and sauce, still water, sparkling water and china cups (all this complimentary). The food troley comes every 15 mins, with free tea, cofee, ice. Of course you can purchase food which is brought to your seat, on real plates with real cutlery for a change and for a reasonable price. As for the tickets, having a "A" at the end of the number doesn't mean anything. If you have purchased 2 tickets and you get odd numbers, don't worry, it means that you will face each other. For instance if you get seats 11 and 13, both will be window seats facing eachother. On the other hand if you get seats 16 and 15, you will seat next to each other, 16 will be aisle and 15 windows, and there will be another set of seats facing you.

I frankly prefere National Express than Virgin. Virgin is a bit more modern, but the food trolley comes every now and then (every hour), you get served in carton cups, no complimentary water on your table what so ever and most of the time there are problems on their line.

Hope this helped!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

This is First Class, I take it?

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

I just wanted to confirm the seating plan for futur reference for other viewers of this post.

I travelled with National Express East Coast last weekend London/Edinburgh - Edinburgh/London(11th April 2009).

So how's the lay out? On the left side of the carriage there are single seats, some facing each other, some for single passengers. On the right side of the carriage there are 2 sets of 2 seats facing each other (so 4 seats around a table). All seats on the train have a table, equiped with a power socket for mobile phones and computers, sachets of sugar and sauce, still water, sparkling water and china cups (all this complimentary). The food troley comes every 15 mins, with free tea, cofee, ice. Of course you can purchase food which is brought to your seat, on real plates with real cutlery for a change and for a reasonable price. As for the tickets, having a "A" at the end of the number doesn't mean anything. If you have purchased 2 tickets and you get odd numbers, don't worry, it means that you will face each other. For instance if you get seats 11 and 13, both will be window seats facing eachother. On the other hand if you get seats 16 and 15, you will seat next to each other, 16 will be aisle and 15 windows, and there will be another set of seats facing you.

I frankly prefere National Express than Virgin. Virgin is a bit more modern, but the food trolley comes every now and then (every hour), you get served in carton cups, no complimentary water on your table what so ever and most of the time there are problems on their line.

Hope this helped!

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

Yes it's first class. (you're quick! lol)

UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

lol! Thought I didn't recognise that train.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

For passengers travelling Steerage, sorry, Standard Class -

2 sets of seats on left, 2 seats on right of carriage. No table lamps or antimacassars.

Airline style seats have a fold-down flap for a table. 1 power point shared between 2 or 4 seats.

Food trolley comes round about once an hour. Everything costs money. Sandwiches and snacks from the buffet counter.

I think NXEC have stopped Standard Class passengers from lunching in the restaurant or getting proper meals altogether.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Seating Plan on National Express Train from Edinburgh

National Express East Coast have removed the full restaurant service from off-peak services but have retained it for morning and evening peak services. Although the service is primarily targeted at First Class passengers whenever I've used NXEC trains they have always offered restaurant car facilities to standard class passengers provided there are still spare places. I assume this practice will continue but cannot find any written info to this effect.