We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID required upon check-in?

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Topic
ID required upon check-in?

Perhaps a random question, but one which might help some people -

When travelling to London, do you find that you always have to provide Photo ID when checking into accommodation? Or just sometimes, or never?

It's for some research I'm doing.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID required upon check-in?

As a UK citizen - I've never had to (or been asked to).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ID required upon check-in?

Never.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID required upon check-in?

I'm a U.S. citizen and I am sometimes asked. It isn't consistent at all.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ID required upon check-in?

In my experience, hotels don't care who you are as long as you pay. You'll be asked for acredit card.

Its only a matter of time before ID cards are brought in, ...I might be wrong , though.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID required upon check-in?

Never been asked for photo ID in any hotel in the UK, Europe or the US. Only a credit card

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID required upon check-in?

Never been asked for ID in the UK. As there is no legal requirement to carry ID I,m not sure if a hotel could sensibly ask for it! Never asked in the US on a recent holiday except when we got to Phialdelphia and New York. Europe varies - some countries always want to see (and copy ) a passport, others don't.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ID required upon check-in?

Wasn't asked on my last visit to London a few days ago but I've stayed there before and noticed that they did have my passport number on their system. I have been asked to produce my passport in many places in Europe, I believe we had to write our passport number on the form at the hotel in Paris.

More curious, I wasn't required to leave a credit card number in either place, one was prepaid on Priceline, the other guaranteed through booking.com but usually they require one for incidentals.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ID required upon check-in?

Hi London Insider; I was very surprised but the Cumberland asked for it (driving licence) about 3 months back. I was in my suit with briefcase and laptop; on company business and booking was through Hotelscene; and of course my card was swiped. I've stayed in London a few times since (not at the Cumberland) but have never been asked again. However I do have reviews (!!) on TA highlighting a chain which managed to charge me twice at both of their hotels (and I'm not the only one). Those again were company/Hotelscene bookings and it took much complaining from my company and myself before corrected.

I would rather show my photo!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ID required upon check-in?

Have been asked for a passport number every time when filling in registration cards at hotels in Finland; never been asked for any ID in Iceland; and have just had a very cursory glance given to my Canadian passport at some hotels in London and in Scotland.

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ID required upon check-in?

Hmmm, interesting (well for me anyway). Thanks.