We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

can someone help me, i am seeing a brief encounter on a sunday next month (starts at 4pm) at the cinema haymarket (near picaddilly and trafalga sq as per their web site, as they are turning the cinema to a theatre)

i was told origionally it had a run time of 90 minutes, so thought we had pleanty of time (as would have finished at 5.30ish), but have since been told it is now running at between 2 hrs and 2hrs 10, so will finish between 6 and 6.10pm,

however we need to get from the theatre/cinema to the hotel on regent street (st georges hotel at langham place by oxford cirus) to collect our bags and then get over to victoria coach station for our 7pm coach??

is the 50 minutes too short a time span?? as we dont want to cancel the show but are worried about missing the coach home

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

Yes, it definitely is too short a time span. You will miss the coach home.

Are there just 2 of you? You will have to find out if you can leave your stuff at the theatre; or else if you can leave it at Victoria train station and collect it from there to take to the coach station.

If there are more than 2 of you, one of you will have to sit with all of the luggage in Victoria coach station while the others go to Brief Encounter.

Can you book a later coach?

By the way, in the St Georges Hotel go to their Heights Bar for excellent views of London.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

On these timings you can not see the show and catch the coach-looks like a dilemma to me

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

You can leave the luggage at the left luggage facility in the coach station earlier in the day and you should then just about have enough time to grab a cab from outside the theatre/cinema to take you to the coach station.

londontoolkit.com/accommodation/victoria_coa…

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

Leaving your luggage at Victoria seems like your only option, but still it's too tight. Any chance you catch a later coach?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

You should even have the time to take a bus from Lower Regent Street (runs parallel to Haymarket) to Victoria train station and walk down Buckingham Palace Road to the coach sttaion but taking a taxi (10 minutes max at that time on a Sunday) would be the sensible thing to do.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

thanks everyone, i am not sure if we can change the coach, will look at the confirmation when i get to work tomorrow as it is in the office, it was one of the fun fairs from national express, so not sure if it can be changed, fingers crossed it can be, yep there is only 2 of us so no way we can leave someone with the luggage, fingers crossed i can get a 7.30 or 8.00 coach, will have to see what happens tomorrow

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

Sorry if I'm being dumb but why can't you head down to the coach station earlier in the day (after you check out of the hotel) and leave the bags at the left luggage facility that I referred to in my earlier post? Yes it will cost a few bob but surely that is better than missing the show?

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

Despite all suggestions I still think it is too tight-other option would be to leave show early to ensure you catch coach.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

It's not often I bang my head (and this is from someone who insists on checking in for a flight exactly three hours before departure!) but you really really shouldn't have a problem. Worst case scenario -

6.10 - Show finishes

6.15 - Stand on Haymarket

6.20 - Get into taxi

6.35 - Arrive Victoria coach station

6.40 - Retrieve luggage

6.45 - Board coach

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help, in a panic, i dont think i have allowed enough time?

How about an alternative (and more likely?) timetable

6.15 - Show finishes 5 minutes late

6.20 - still trying to get out through slow moving crowd

6.25 - Stand on Haymarket

Its raining. No taxis in sight.

6.30 - Waiting for taxi along with 100 of the others who just came out of the show

6.40 Still waiting for taxi

6.45 catch Taxi

6.55 Arrive Victoria coach station

7.00 little old lady in fromt of you at luggage takes ages to retrieve 4 cases and pay in pound coins

7.10 - Retrieve luggage

Miss coach

I have come out of shows in the west end and given up waiting for a taxi due to the massive crowds all doing the same thing, and walked the mile or two back to my hotel before now .