We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Here is my next question: My wife and I are staying at a hotel in Bayswater. We are planning to fly to Edinburgh for a quick overnight trip. Here are my three options: LHR to EDI on BA for $236, Stansted to EDI on EasyJet for $125.43, LGW to EDI on E/J for $139.38, or Luton to EDI on E/J for $142.86 (these prices are for two people)? Which is the better deal, taking in consideration the cost of traveling from Bayswater for two people to each repected airport?

London
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

By far the most convenient (albeit the most expensive) option would be to go from Heathrow. From Bayswater you are a stone's throw from Paddington Station where you can get the Heathrow Express - a 15 minute train journey to Heathrow. It takes you right to the terminals so no courtesy coach and only a short walk/escalator ride at the end. It's pricey though at £26 return. If you're not on a tight budget, this is the way to go. You could go on the tube to Heathrow but you would have to change twice and it would take about an hour. Not sure of the cost but about £5 per head I would imagine. You can get fare information at www.tfl.gov.uk

You can get a train from Victoria Station to Gatwick. The journey takes half an hour and costs about £16 return. If you want to save a few pounds, don't go on the Gatwick Express. It's non-stop but pricey. There are ordinary trains which stop at Gatwick, only take a little longer, and are much cheaper.

You can go to Luton Airport on the train from Kings Cross Thameslink station (This is not the main Kings Cross station but is next door). The journey takes 30 mins. Not sure of the price but I would imagine roughly the same as Gatwick.

You can go to Stansted Airport from Liverpool Station. The journey takes 45 mnutes. This would be easy from Bayswater as the tube goes there direct to Liverpool St on the Central Line. The last time I travelled on the Central Line Bayswater station was closed but you could walk to Lancaster Gate, the next station along.

If it were me I would go on BA from Heathrow for the convenience and the reliability for flying with a major airline. If you want to keep the cost down go on EasyJey form Stansted. EasyJet are a budget airline though, so be prepared for dealys and cancellations.

For train times, visit www.nationalrail.co.uk

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Thanks N/B.

Are the dmaller airports easy to navigate?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Bayswater's actually on the District and Circle lines...

I think NHB is thinking of Queensway on the Central line (which is just down the road from Bayswater), which is still closed for maintenance or something, and will be for a while yet I think. Bayswater station is also out of action at the moment because of the District and Circle line closures as a result of July 7th, but I believe they're hoping to reopen the Circle line reasonably soon.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Don't completely discount rail. The trip is 4 1/2 hours which given the time to get to, through and out of airports is about what the flight will take downtown to downtown. Apex return fares are about 54 pounds each. Kings Cross is not far from your Bayswater location, Edinburgh Waverley is smack in the middle of town. The 9 am has you in Edinburgh for lunch. The 3 pm next day has you back in London for dinner.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Agree with Ricknpat, rail is the best option.

Train leaves from Kings cross, so a 15-20 minute trip on the tube or a 10 minute taxi, against 30/60 depending on airport or mode of transport to said airport.

You dont' have to arrive 2+ hours early for check in, just 15-30 minutes.

Train arrives in central Edinburgh, plane does not, hence time saved not having to get into the center of town.

Train gives you the time to see the countryside go by the window.

Now, I really don't think one day will do Edinburgh justice and you will be extreemely exhausted, if you really want to go there then give it an overnight trip.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

There is a nondescript pub on the Queensway called the Rat and Parrot. Nothing special but the Bangers and Mash are well above average in the traditional sense. Not at all frightening. Laff. Safe travels.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Well, as before I was sold on the trains, the cheaper cost of flying swayed me away. Now I am swinging back in that direction. We are staying for one night (Dalhousie Castle) so we do have a few extra hours to spend for the train. Is it cheaper to buy the train tickets in advance or wait until we get to Waterloo?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Is 181 GBPs for two people expensive to Edinburgh on the GNER?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

Opps, sorry. That was booking for tomorrow. I found a fare of 78 GBPs for two people as long as you don't travel on a Friday.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way from Bayswater to Edinburgh?

That seems very reasonable but it would worth booking asap as there are only a limited number of cheap tickets on each train. www.thetrainline.com explains the various options in a reasonably clear manner.