We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Willesden Green

ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Willesden Green

Hi All,

I am looking at a short-term apartment very close the the Willesden Green underground (High Rd and Linacre Rd) for my 2-week research visit to the British library. The rate for a private studio is literally half as much as that of more centrally located flats/hotels I have looked at. This represents a significant savings for me. Is this area generally safe? I will never be walking alone, but I will be returning late at night. I generally consider myself a "street smart" person, being from New York City.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,662 Reviews
from US$122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,249 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
746 Reviews
from US$102.40*
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Willesden Green

Willesden is pretty grim looking, and is one of the less pleasant areas of London, but it's far from a no-go area. As long as you behave "safe" (head down, don't rubberneck, don't get involved - you know the drill) you shouldn't have any trouble.

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Willesden Green

Willesden Green is fine. It's one of those typical London areas where if you turn left the houses are enormous hugely expensive mansion blocks or 5 bedroom houses with enormous gardens, and turn right and it's exactly the opposite. It's a very mixed area - lots of young professionals are moving to the area as it is reasonably cheap and is well connected to the centre.

I have walked around at all times of day and night on many occasions with no problem. Just use typical street smarts and you'll be fine.

Sushi Say on Walm Lane just down from the tube station is a Japanese restaurant with an excellent reputation, although coming from NYC you're probably used to very good (and much cheaper) asian food. The pubs on the High Road and Walm Lane are all horrible (with the possible exception of The Green opposite the tube, but it's not a great pub) and probably best steered clear of.

You can walk to Salusbury Road in Queen's Park in 10-20 minutes for some nice pubs and restaurants if you want to stay local and explore a bit, or a couple of stops on the tube to West Hampstead.

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Willesden Green

Oh yeah, there is large supermarket (Sainsbury's) opposite the end of Linacre Road.

I know the area well, so any other Q's post here or PM me.

London
Level Contributor
287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Willesden Green

I lived in Willesden Green for a couple of years, and it’s a pretty unremarkable suburb. As has been said, there are some very nice streets, and other bits that aren’t so clever. I lived there with three girls, and none of them ever had any problems. It’s a very mixed area with a lot of Aussies, Kiwis, West Indians, West Africans, Irish and a fair few Asians and Eastern Europeans. I wouldn’t imagine that you’ll want to do much other than kip there, as the pubs and restaurants are a bit limited, but it’s got decent connections into town, and you can get to the British Library easily enough – probably about 30 minutes – Jubilee line down to Finchley Road and then jump on the Metropolitan line. Or take the Jubilee down to Baker Street and change onto the Met/Hammersmith & City/Circle lines there. Tubes stop running at about midnight, but there are night buses than run from town back through the area.

Linacre Road is close to the tube, so you don’t have a long walk to and from the station.

As long as you’re not expecting a salubrious area, and you don’t mind a bit of grittiness, you should be absolutely fine. You’ve lived in NYC, so I can’t see anywhere in London freaking you out too much. If it saves you a shed load of money which you can then spend enjoying yourself whilst you’re in London, then I’d go with Willesden Green

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Willesden Green

smf2024: "but I will be returning late at night".

In that case, I would stay away from Willesden. It's OK in the daytime but I wouldn't want to be walking around there late at night. Maybe I'm a more nervous person than you are, but I would still be looking at www.gumtree.co.uk and other sites for somewhere else.

London
Level Contributor
287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Willesden Green

Well, unless it's gone remarkably downhill in the 4 years since I lived there, I reckon you'll be fine. As long as you're not daft, you'd be incredibly unlucky to get any bother; I wandered round in a right old pickle at all hours of the night and was never threatened once. The girls that I lived with never had any trouble and nor did a couple of friends who lived in the area. Our flat was burgled once, but that's all part of the fun of living in a city.

It's a perfectly average part of town - completely unremarkable. And the street mentioned is close to the tube station, so I wouldn't have thought you were any more at risk than anywhere else in town.

London
Level Contributor
287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Willesden Green

Also, if you look at the Gumtree, you'll probably see that there are about 52 million Antipodeans living quite happily in the Willesden Green/Dollis Hill area. In the block of flats where we lived, we were the only non-Antipodean household.

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Willesden Green

Whikle I'm sure Glyn knows what he is talking about, for the avoidance of doubt it is woth posting that "Willesden" is quite a large area of North West London. Willesden Green here, is OK, not great, looks a bit ragged round the edges, but not terrible either. Willesden Junction on the other hand, I'd be slightly more nervous about...

UK
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Willesden Green

I am quite certain Glynn knows what he's talking about. Very nice if you like that sort of thing I would look elsewhere

I wouldn' stay in that sort of area anymore than 18eme in Paris

Good hunting

Regmaiche

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Willesden Green

"I am quite certain Glyn knows what he's talking about" Probably not in this case, just my own prejudices. The other posters here have more experience of the area.