We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westminster station-what can we walk to?

UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Still planning our day trip! Going this week. Thinking of giving the tour bus a miss and just using the underground. If we take the tube to Westminster can we walk to the London eye and Buck Palace. Could we do a river trip from there? Would be greatful for any sugestions. Planning for the weather to be nice.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

There is a pier at Westminster for river boat cruises.

You can easily walk to Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey. London Eye, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace from the Station.

Once you have walked to Buckingham Palace, Piccadilly Circus or Hyde Park are not much further and Covent Garden is not much past Trafalgar Square.

In fact you could walk to all the main attractions, although not have time to go in them all, in a day.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

You could do the Jubilee Walk

http://www.jubileewalkway.org.uk/index.asp

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Horse Guards, Cabinet War Rooms & Churchill Museum, Whitehall, Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Palace, St James Park, Royal Opera House, Royal Festival Hall, Westminster Cathedral, Tate Britain, Somerset House.

Just leave Westminster Station by the Bridge Street exit for the best views

UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Thanks for your help, I feel a lot more confident. We will be arriving at Paddington. Am I right in thinking we take the circle line to Westminster (what direction do we go?). I will get my train ticket to include zone 1, is that right? Just want to spend the day getting a feel for the place as the 2 youngest (8 and 15 year) haven't been to London before. Saying that I think I was about 15 when I went last!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Taking the Circle Line means you don't have to change but it will be a lot quicker to take the Bakerloo line southbound and change (across the platform) to the Jubilee line at Baker Street. Alternatively stay on the Bakerloo line to Embankment and exit there onto the Victoria Embankment from where you will see the London Eye and Westminster Bridge.

As long as it's after 9.30 you will just need to get a zones 1-2 one day Travelcard at Paddington tube station costing £5.30. The 15 year old pays just £1 for the same and the little un goes free but has to use the manned barrier at any tube station.

UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Any idea how long it would take to go from Paddington to Westminter on the circle line. What would i do without everyones help!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Paddington to Victoria anti-clockwise on the Circle Line: 25 minutes plus waiting time unless you are lucky. Departures can be as much as 12-15 minutes apart.

Bakerloo/Jubilee route as per my previous posts: 15 minutes with trains running every 2/3 minutes. The change at Baker Street is very simple, just cross the platform.

UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Thanks. We'll give it a go. Half the fun will be going on the underground. Think of me with my 3 boys, 8,15 and 18. It will be a laugh.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it. Do please let us know how you got on though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westminster station-what can we walk to?

Came across a great website ( from looking through posts on this forum!) www.walkit.com enter your hotel name & where you want to go to- gives map/directions + walking times (fast/med/slow