We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

New York
Level Contributor
858 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

I would like to visit the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, traveling by public transport. Would like to hear from travelers who have visited Duxford and traveled from London. Planning a visit next March.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

You can either get a train to Whittlesford Parkway (from Kings Cross, Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale) and walk a mile from there, or train to Cambridge and get a rather slow bus to IWM from outside the station. Journey time about 1 hr 40 min either way.

New York
Level Contributor
858 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

Westlonder99 - Have you visited the Museum? What is it like?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
752 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

Thw IWM is a must-see on all my London visits. The military hardware (tanks, plnaes, guns, etc.) on display is amazing. When I was there last they had a multi-media Holocaust exhibit that that was quite moving.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

I found the museum fascinating, and I'm not even especially into planes. There are many themed areas in different buildings, so its a bit like visiting lots of museums in one.

Check their calendar and consider visiting on an airshow weekend if there is one - not sure when the season starts - more expensive, but even more to see.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

Tony - I think you are mixing up the IWM in Lambeth and the one in Duxford - it's the latter Brenna is wanting to visit.

Duxford is good. The museum is in half a dozen hangars, one of which is devoted to US equipment, and has outside it the memorial to the US servicemen who gave their lives in the World War II, to whom we are all indebted.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

I've been to Duxford, which describes itself as having the largest collection of US aircraft outside America - of course it has even more British aircraft. If you're going to a flying show as well, then that's even better.

In fact there's an airshow this Saturday: www.iwm.org.uk and click on Duxford.

Also don't forget RAF Colindale museum in NW London, which is on the underground.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

Hi BrennaBee - heading to England next year? Lovely!

I agree with the above posters and highly recommend Duxford. It's pretty big and will take you several hours to see (not counting if you luck out and catch an air show), and is well worth it.

8. Re: London to Imperial War Museum in DUXFORD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 21:16