We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

I am going to be staying at the Marriot Heathrow- Windsor...and I plan to travel on the tube most of the time into London....

Is there a Tube Card or multiple trip card that I should purchase?

Also, I am told that the closest underground station is Heathrow Terminals 1-2-3

Is that easy enough to get to from Ditton Road in Slough?

Thanks for the Help!

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

Is there a particular reason for choosing this hotel?

To use the tube, you would need to get a bus from the hotel to the Heathrow terminals, it's about 4 miles away. It's also outside London and situated in a residential area with nothing to do within walking distance, so it's not really a practical solution for a holiday in London - more of an overnight stay for an early morning flight.

If you go with this hotel,the best solution for getting into London is the Green Line bus which runs from directly outside to Victoria Coach station in about an hour.

www.rainbowfares.com/timetables/index.htm

The relevant stop on the timetable is listed as "Langley, London Road/High Street".

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

khend, sorry but this is not a good idea.

Are you staying there because you are using airmiles or its a low rate?

FWIW the Marriott Windsor is by the edge of a roundabout, next to a motorway, on the outskirts of a fairly grubby town called Slough.

Going in all the way by tube would not be a good idea as its a long trek into Heathrow, either by taxi, bus, or maybe the Marriott have a dedicated bus? Either way after that you will be dropped off at a terminal, then you have to walk to the tube station, then its 45 minutes or a bit more into London Central.

If you are insistent upon the Marriott, which I would urge you to change, then your best plan is to take the train from Slough into Paddington, and tube in from there. You will have to get a taxi or bus to the train station. You can buy a 1 day pass, or a 5 day pass, into the city including tube. 3, 1 day passes will probably be slightly cheaper than a 5 day.

But the bottom line is, that this is an airport hotel, and its very poorly situated for anyone wishing to travel into London every day.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

I wasnt aware of the coach option to Victoria which is probably a bit better than my suggestion of train from Slough.

Its still a bad place to stay for London.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

I am staying at the Hotel for Free-using 2 certificates.. That's why I am there...

This is a quick trip to maintain my airline status and then going to the Fulham game on Saturday

So any money spent on a cab or shuttle to the underground would be worth it...

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

There is a direct bus from the hotel to Heathrow, the H5 Heathrow Hoppa service to T123. Cost is £4 per person per journey. You can also get a number 77 bus (I think) from outside the hotel to Heathrow T5, which would be cheaper. There is nothing wrong with hotel, we always stay there before flying from Heathrow, but there is nothing nearby. There is a Harvester restaurant and a Toby Carvery restaurant just outside though, if you are looking for decent cheap food outside the hotel.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

As said by LittleRussell the Green Line bus that runs broadly hourly stops outside the Marriott and goes into London Victoria.

The Marriott is the last stop before it hits the motorway (reserved bus lane much of the way) and goes non-stop to Hammersmith before going through Kensington to Victoria.

Getting of at Hammersmith is particularly convenient for a Fulham game.

7. Re: London Underground /Marriot Heathrow-Windsor Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 10:16