We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lionking or grease?

dublin
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
lionking or grease?

Hi all

We will be in London for 3 days, and have it pretty much sorted. We have time for 2 shows and have them narrowed down to 3. There will be myself hubby and 13 year old son. No.1 is hairspray and I can't decide on the lionking or grease.

Can anyone help me decide any input would be grateful.

BTW this is a surprise for my son's birthday so I cannot ask him his preference.

Thank in advance.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from US$126.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,146 Reviews
from US$128.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
539 Reviews
from US$113.80*
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,112 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lionking or grease?

I suspect you will receive a lot of conflicting advice. I have taken school groups to both shows and my unscientific straw poll would suggest that a 13 year old boy would prefer Grease but without knowing your 13 your old boy...!

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lionking or grease?

I thought Grease was Awful! I took my family earlier this year (including 10 year old niece who loves Grease). THey all thought it was bad too!. I've not seen Lion King But I have not heard one bad word said against it.

Your 13 Year old may like Wicked (as would you!)... If he is into Monty Python, then definitely do Spamalot... They do a special deal on Friday Matinee's where 'Kids pay their age'... so £13 for the 13 - yearold. Best check the website in case the offer is no longer valid. Zorro has just opened to good Reviews.

What ever you see! Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
The Lion King
The Lion King
10,473 Reviews
London, UK
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lionking or grease?

I did not enjoy Grease - and I love the film

dublin
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: lionking or grease?

Thanks for your replies.

Spamalot we have seen in New York and it was excellent,

so that is why that's not considered, I would still highly recommend it.

Wicked or the Lion king???? ( I am going to forget about Grease as I have 2 negatives).

Both of the above were considered in NY but could not get tickets for them.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
The Lion King
The Lion King
10,473 Reviews
London, UK
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
668 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lionking or grease?

I saw the Lion King a couple of years ago and thought it was excellent. The costumes were amazing! I have not seen Wicked, so have not got any opinion on that one!

Mentioned in this post
The Lion King
The Lion King
10,473 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
485 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lionking or grease?

Having seen Grease 5 times over the years I went to see the "revamped" show earlier this year and hated it ! The running order has changed and the 2 winners of the reality TV show were average at best . Haven't seen The Lion King, but would not waste my money on Grease.

Mentioned in this post
The Lion King
The Lion King
10,473 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lionking or grease?

I haben't seen either yet and on advice of friends won't bother with Greasee and like the other poster loved the film. Have heard good things about Both from friends whose reviews I have found accurate for me in the past and theyu all semm to give the edge to Wicked

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
264 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lionking or grease?

Have seen both Wicked and Lion King in a number of locations. Wicked is great (and my favorite), but maybe more for adults. The leads are women who become best friends and follows the book (somewhat) versus the movie. The Lion King follows the movie and the staging and presentation is great. For a 13 year old boy I would choose the Lion King.

Mentioned in this post
The Lion King
The Lion King
10,473 Reviews
London, UK
9. Re: lionking or grease?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 20:20