We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best photography exhibition

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best photography exhibition

My husband is a photographer and has never been to London before. We are coming down for 4 days in October.

Where is the best gallery/museum to see photography exhibitions? He's particularly interested in documentary and portrait photography.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best photography exhibition

The National Portrait Gallery (www.npg.org.uk/live/index.asp) is an obvious choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best photography exhibition

Time Out (www.timeout.com/london/) is the London listings magazine which tends to have details of most things.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best photography exhibition

The Photographers' Gallery is well worth a visit. Admission is free and it's very well located just near Leicester Square (at the moment, although I see they're moving later this year).

These are the exhibitions and events on there in October:

www.photonet.org.uk/index.php?pid=183&show=10

The little cafe in the basement is worth a visit too - they have lovely home made cakes.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best photography exhibition

The National Theatre on the South Bank will have an exhibition called 'The Half: Photographs of Actors Preparing for the Stage' during October. More details at the link below:

nationaltheatre.org.uk/38168/exhibitions/the…

And if you're here after the 20th October, they also have one called 'cheka kidogo – a photography exhibition'. It means ‘laugh a little’ in Swahili. Portrait photographer Rankin travelled with Oxfam to a refugee camp in the Eastern Congo, the heart of this generally unreported conflict. The result is a stunning series of pictures, capturing the resilience and fatalism of those living there.

nationaltheatre.org.uk/39681/exhibitions/emc…

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best photography exhibition

The Victoria and Albert Museum also has an excellent photography dept (vam.ac.uk/collections/photography/index.html).

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best photography exhibition

I don't think I've ever been in the Tate Modern when there hasn't been some photography exhibition or other going on.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best photography exhibition

Also sign on with www.flickr.com which is free, and then see if any of the London groups are doing anything while you are here.

This is a good one:

www.flickr.com/groups/londonflickrmeetups/

any visitor to London should have a look at it. You don't have to be a good photographer, just interested in taking pics in London.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best photography exhibition

I've found the best to be Proud Gallery. They have two locations - one on John Adam St., off Villiers St. near Charing Cross/Embankment and one in Camden.

http://www.proud.co.uk/

The Charing Cross location is ideal if just wanting to pop in for a bit. It's also a more intimate setting, a one-of-a-kind place. Well, you'll see...

Enjoy!

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best photography exhibition

Thanks for the tips everyone, I will pass them on to the expert.

And Glyn1, we are big Flickr users - I can't believe I hadn't thought of going on there!

Cheers. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best photography exhibition

Does your husband have a professional/trade body who could give him information and perhaps even introductions?