We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drift 08 - Art on the Thames

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Topic
Drift 08 - Art on the Thames

As I crossed the Millenium bridge last night, I could hear seagulls and thought they were very loud, particularly as I couldn't see any nearby.

Then as i was sitting outside the Founders Arms later that evening after a show at The Globe, I could see something reflecting on the other side of the Thames but thought nothing more of it.

Then as I walked by Blackfriars railway bridge, I saw green laser beams being projected across the Thames over the old bridge supports alongside the railway bridge.

I didn't think any of these were connected until I researched why the green laser beams were there. These 3 and 4 others are all part of Drift 08 which as the website states is:

"DRIFT 08 is London's first annual art exhibition on the Thames.

This unique and ground-breaking contemporary art show will see seven installations being placed in the river and along its banks between Blackfriars Bridge and Tower Bridge and one work at Canary Wharf."

They are there until the 19th October and you can get more details at the link below as well as an explanation as to what these represent:

illuminateproductions.co.uk/drift08/artists/…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drift 08 - Art on the Thames

Hey Mick - I really enjoyed that! Nothing like some vicarious travelling! Most of the pieces seem kind of "spooky" which has an interesting relationship to water. The Australian artist Craig Walsh has done many pieces here in Brisbane - his home town.

Many years ago when I was in London there was a British (?) artist who was dredging the Thames and displaying his finds which I found fascinating. Thanks again ... wish I was there to see it in person.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
2. Re: Drift 08 - Art on the Thames

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 09:36